Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg: Cast Iron or Ceramic Plate Setter

I am the proud new daddy of an XL.  After a few straight cooks with steaks, I wanted to try my hand with pizza.  While to top of the pizza's would make any Italian proud, the bottom burned badly on the stone at 600-650.  A little research revealed that I will definitely need to pony up for a plate setter.  

I came across and was intrigued by the Paragon Casual Cast Iron Plate Setter.  I like the flexibility of the griddle top, but have also seen some reviews that mention the fit is too tight and that several people have experienced cracked domes due to the expansion.  

Does anyone have any direct experience with the cast iron model?  
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the cast iron versus the BGE plate setter? 

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I would also take a look at the adjustable rig from The Ceramic Grill Store. You can call Tom and he will walk you through it. Much more versatile. Especially on the BGE XL. 

And welcome to the herd. Post those pics of your cooks. We like to see them.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,120

I have one of the cast iron plate setters for my large and XL and highly recommend it over the ceramic. I have 2 broken ceramic plate setters for my XL that I wish I never would have purchased.
    That said I still prefer my Flip Ring and Adj Rig from Ceramic Grill Store used with a pizza stone or pan.
    I know Tom has made some updates on the XL Rig since mine and it's even better. I still use my Flip Ring most of the time in my XL. The simplicity and added grilling space with the Flip Ring is Awesome...I use my broken ceramic plate setters as pizza stones now.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,830
    I use the Adjustable Rig from Tom and put my pizza stone on top of it to get the pie way up in the dome.  Great results.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Okay-  so after this posting I just "happened" to drive by the local BGE dealer (a.k.a. The Hardware Store) and had a lengthy conversation with Kieth.  He has had two customers with cracked grilles from the cast iron plate setter. He recommende convEggtOr  with a GIANT BGE XL stone. He recommended legs up, grill, and two fire bricks to hold the stone up into the dome. 

• I think you should indeed peruse the Ceramic Grill Store ! Then call them and discuss pizza and other future interests with Tom.   The versatility of the AR will complement your serious investment in egging.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Just call tom and get the AR. Ceramicgrillstore.com

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• I am a fairly recent convert to the XL AR/Woo set up and it is one of the best things I have ever purchased. My platesetter has a crack most of the way across and it is only a matter of time before its' demise. I checked into a new platesetter from my local stealership and the CGS set up was not a whole lot more $. The versatility of not having to store dirty fire bricks and assorted other paraphernalia is great (I can just stack and assemble all of the pieces of the AR in one unit) and I also prefer the stability and not having to worry about tipping very hot things over when using the pizza peel etc. Since you haven't invested in the PS yet, be sure to check with Tom at CGS. There is so much more that can be done with his setup than just a platesetter for not a lot more investment.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • GRE1
    GRE1 Posts: 68
    Agreed on the CGS products!  Good Quality Items Clark!
    XL times 2
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    HeliGuy said:
    Okay-  so after this posting I just "happened" to drive by the local BGE dealer (a.k.a. The Hardware Store) and had a lengthy conversation with Kieth.  He has had two customers with cracked grilles from the cast iron plate setter. He recommende convEggtOr  with a GIANT BGE XL stone. He recommended legs up, grill, and two fire bricks to hold the stone up into the dome. 

Just call Tom. You will wish you did, if you don't.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Adjustable rig from Tom at ceramic grill store.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,120
    HeliGuy said:
    Okay-  so after this posting I just "happened" to drive by the local BGE dealer (a.k.a. The Hardware Store) and had a lengthy conversation with Kieth.  He has had two customers with cracked grilles from the cast iron plate setter. He recommende convEggtOr  with a GIANT BGE XL stone. He recommended legs up, grill, and two fire bricks to hold the stone up into the dome. 

The nature of ceramic grills is that the molded shape is not perfect. Especially on something as big as the XL BGE Base. The consumer should have enough common sense to dry fit any part put into the Egg to make sure it fits and has expansion space. 
    I bet all the cast iron plate setters have a quality tolerance far superior to the ceramics in the BGE.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas