Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
Grabbed a 10lb pork butt plan on cooking it at 250 this weekend should I anticipate a 15hr cook for the full piece?

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Guess you're going off 1.5hrs per pound, which is good for an estimate, but you'll want to cook till it's ready.  When is that?  When you can grab the bone and pull slightly, if it is working out it's done.  Or when it probes easily.  Or when it's about 205°, roughly.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • dirty_denim86
    dirty_denim86 Posts: 138
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would like for it to come off the egg at 7PM Sunday to cool down. 

I'm debating between the two options below:

A ) Egg Temp 225 put butt on at 11PM Saturday that would give me 20 hours of cook time

B ) Egg Temp 250 put butt on at 4AM Sunday that would give me 15 hours of cook time

Option A allows me to head to bed at a decent time what are your thoughts?

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I would like for it to come off the egg at 7PM Sunday to cool down. 

I'm debating between the two options below:

A ) Egg Temp 225 put butt on at 11PM Saturday that would give me 20 hours of cook time

B ) Egg Temp 250 put butt on at 4AM Sunday that would give me 15 hours of cook time

Option A allows me to head to bed at a decent time what are your thoughts?

Do as you will, but I'd avoid 225°.  You'll look 20+ hours.  

Butts are forgiving and can take a beating and still turn out great.  Personally, the min temp for butts would be 250°.  I do like a turbo butt too, but must be smaller.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    Alright I'll stick to 250 and estimate for a 15hr cook hopefully it turns out.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Put it on at 11pm like you were planning and shoot for 250.  About 1.5 hours/lb is about right.  You can always slow it down if you want to, but you never want it to be done late.  Shoot to have it ready 2-4 hours before eating time.  Then just FTC it until you are ready to shred and serve it.

It will seem like it is cooking too fast, the it will hit he stall.  Once it gets through the stall, it will pick up speed again, but then slow down.  Always seems to take a long time to get from almost done (usually 185-190) to actually done (usually 200 or so).   

I check it by wiggling the bone and probing it.  I want the bone to slide out easy and the probe to slide in with minimal resistance.  Usually in the 198-205 range is where the butt feels right and is ready to come off.

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • dirty_denim86
    Options
    Ended up putting it on at 4:00am and was taken out next day at 7:00am total was 15hrs at 250..