Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip -- My First Attempt

Loubo83
Loubo83 Posts: 23
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Since my move to the DC area and after a year-long deployment, I was anxious to do something with my large BGE.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/loubo83/IMG_2802_zpswuebdbma.jpg

After viewing R2Egg2Q's (my brother-in-law's) "Tri Tip Tutorial" in this forum, I decided tri tip would be my next grill on the BGE.  So this past week, I grilled my very first tri tip.  Growing up on the West Coast and currently living on the East Coast, I had no idea tri tips were uncommon.  I finally found a local organic meat market that set aside a 4lb tri tip for me.  Unfortunately, the butcher already cut the tri tip into two parts and charged me an arm and a leg.  Oh, well...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/loubo83/IMG_2806_zpssrgy5trq.jpg

After cleaning the meat and patting it down with paper towels, I did my best to trim off the excess fat.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/loubo83/IMG_2813_zpsjku1bnkc.jpg

I seasoned it off with 50/50 The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style and Regular Barbecue dry rubs.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/loubo83/IMG_2819_zpsakxjdjdj.jpg

Afterwards, I placed the tri tip on the LBGE indirect using wine infused oak smoke wood at 300F dome temp.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/loubo83/IMG_2835_zpsmcpkuozv.jpg

My wife and I like our tri tip medium-rare so my target IT was about 127-130F with the expected few degrees rise during the resting period.  So I roasted the tri tip to an IT of 115F and pulled it off the LBGE.  Since I didn't have a cast iron grid for my LBGE yet, I did the reverse sear on my adjacent Weber gas grill.  (In hindsight, I could have reverse seared the tri tip direct using the stainless steel grid.  Lesson learned...)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/loubo83/IMG_2845_zps8oiumyaz.jpg

The gas grill never really got hot enough for me to do a proper sear, but I thought it still turned out alright.  I pulled the tri tip at 128F and let it rest for about 20 mins before slicing.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/loubo83/IMG_2849_zpsi7i5asme.jpg

Since the tri tip was already cut in two, I had no problem slicing it across the grain to get tender slices.  

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/loubo83/IMG_2852_zpsxxg8fu4s.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/loubo83/IMG_2853_zpslva112av.jpg

Thank you R2Egg2Q for your guidance!  Hope this was helpful and thanks for looking!
Weber Summit Charcoal Grill, Weber Smokey Mountain, LBGE, MiniMax and Mini
Hyattsville, MD (Washington DC Metro Area)

Comments

• Going to make you bring them to the forum so I don't have to go look at them lol. 
     Looks really good. what I will recommend when cooking tritip staying indirect will not give you a nice sear/bark. I cook a ton of tritip and I have worked away from the indirect setup on it now. Next time try it cooking direct around 400. then when it hits 120-125 depending on how you like it ( do it by touch and not by temp). I pull then ramp up the egg and sear it. It is one of those pieces of meat that is always good so you can try different things with it and still taste great!

Jacksonville, FL
  • golfguyjosh, thanks for the tip!  I'll definitely try direct next time I do tri tip.  I also appreciate your patience as I try to figure out how to properly post photos on this forum. =)
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited September 2015
    AT $15/lb, I would have been very upset that he cut it.  Looks like it came out great, though.
    NOLA
  • You might try this recipe.  I've fed a lot of Eggers at the Eggs-by-the-Bay Eggfest with it.   No one has every complained.

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Rich Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Morro Bay, CA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    @R2Egg2Q has given me plenty of advice through the years.. you're in good hands 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Where in the DC area are you located?

If you have a Wegmans nearby, they consistently have Tri-tip under their Angus "FYFGA" label(at least mine does and I'm in Frederick, MD). It's 7 or 8 bucks/lb. I always get good results.
  • Where in the DC area are you from? I live in Dumfries/Woodbridge area. Also what butcher did you get the meat from I've heard good things about this butcher on Springfield plaza that I plan on cutting out of work early today to check out.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2015
    It looks great!  You definitely had a good teacher.  $15 a lb for tri-tip though...ouch!  

FYI, if you want to add pics directly to your post copy the "direct" link from photobucket, then here click the the button shown below and paste the link in "Image URL"
    -------------------------->

<--------------------------------

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504 said:
    AT $15/lb, I would have been very upset that he cut it.  Looks like it came out great, though.
    Thanks, buzd504!  Yeah, I was bummed but wasn't sure about tri tip supply out here in the DC area.  Several on the forum have already mentioned Wegman's as a reasonably priced option for me so I'll check it out this weekend.  Thanks again for looking!

• You might try this recipe.  I've fed a lot of Eggers at the Eggs-by-the-Bay Eggfest with it.   No one has every complained.

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Rich Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Thanks, morrobayrich!  This forum is great...so many recipe options and offers to help me. :-)

• Where in the DC area are you located?

If you have a Wegmans nearby, they consistently have Tri-tip under their Angus "FYFGA" label(at least mine does and I'm in Frederick, MD). It's 7 or 8 bucks/lb. I always get good results.
    Eggcelsior, (BTW, I love your forum name) there's a Wegmans in Lanman MD within a 30 mile drive so that's doable.  I checked Wegmans' website and Angus beef tri tips is going for $12.49/lb.  I look forward to shopping there for my next roast.  Thanks again for looking!

• Davec433 said:
    Where in the DC area are you from? I live in Dumfries/Woodbridge area. Also what butcher did you get the meat from I've heard good things about this butcher on Springfield plaza that I plan on cutting out of work early today to check out.
    I live near University of Maryland College Park and checked out Yelp for a good rated butcher.  Harvey's Market at Union Market near Gallaudet Univ. was highly rated for their quality meats so I went there.  I thought the tri tip was pretty good quality but didn't appreciate their cutting it in two and the higher price.  I think I'll take the advice of other DC-based forum members and try Wegmans.  Let me know how the Springfield Plaza butcher turned out.  Thanks again for looking!

• It looks great!  You definitely had a good teacher.  $15 a lb for tri-tip though...ouch!  

FYI, if you want to add pics directly to your post copy the "direct" link from photobucket, then here click the the button shown below and paste the link in "Image URL"
    -------------------------->

<--------------------------------
    Thanks SmokeyPitt!  Yes, that was expensive tri tip but I'll try other local options like Wegmans.  Apparently they have pretty good quality cuts of meat.  I plan to check it out this weekend.  Also thanks for the photo post instruction.  I'll test it out when I post my last roast--boneless leg of lamb.  It turned out pretty good.  Thanks again for looking!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That looks delicious.  If I would have seen this earlier, I would have pulled some out of the freezer.  Tonight is gulf shrimp.  Damn, seafood three days straight....I should have gone with beef.
    edited September 2015
    Loubo83 said:

Davec433 said:
    Where in the DC area are you from? I live in Dumfries/Woodbridge area. Also what butcher did you get the meat from I've heard good things about this butcher on Springfield plaza that I plan on cutting out of work early today to check out.
    I live near University of Maryland College Park and checked out Yelp for a good rated butcher.  Harvey's Market at Union Market near Gallaudet Univ. was highly rated for their quality meats so I went there.  I thought the tri tip was pretty good quality but didn't appreciate their cutting it in two and the higher price.  I think I'll take the advice of other DC-based forum members and try Wegmans.  Let me know how the Springfield Plaza butcher turned out.  Thanks again for looking!
    The Butcher is off Old Keene Mill so pretty easy to find and they had probably every cut off meat I could think of. They had grass fed grain finished and grass fed grass finished both select and prime cuts of most meat. They even have freezer meat where you can buy large amounts of beef or pork at their market price. Prime beef for their large sections runs at 9.99 and select I think is 8.49. I bought some chicken Kabobs a tri-tip (trying the Santa Maria recipe on the BGE this weekend except with Oakridge seasoning) and a couple New York Strips. Price comparable to Wegmans just larger selection. They have a Trader Joes and a Giant in the same shopping center as well. The Trader Joes had a horrible meat and vegetable section.
  • Davec433 said:
    Loubo83 said:

Davec433 said:
    The Butcher is off Old Keene Mill so pretty easy to find and they had probably every cut off meat I could think of. They had grass fed grain finished and grass fed grass finished both select and prime cuts of most meat. They even have freezer meat where you can buy large amounts of beef or pork at their market price. Prime beef for their large sections runs at 9.99 and select I think is 8.49. I bought some chicken Kabobs a tri-tip (trying the Santa Maria recipe on the BGE this weekend except with Oakridge seasoning) and a couple New York Strips. Price comparable to Wegmans just larger selection. They have a Trader Joes and a Giant in the same shopping center as well. The Trader Joes had a horrible meat and vegetable section.
    Very nice looking cuts!  I think I'll make a special trip out to Springfield soon.  Thanks for the Springfield Butcher tip!  Let me know how the BGE cooks went this weekend.