Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL ??

Options
WHAT BRAND OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL DO YOU RECOMMEND, FOR COOKING OR SALAD ??

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    evoo is not a good choice for cooking. i would like to see some suggestions though, the brand ive been getting seems to go down hill quickly
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I'm no evoo snob so for years I have been buying large 67.6 oz bottles of Bertolli brand from Sam's. I then pour it into a smaller more manageable bottle for my cupboard.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm no evoo snob so for years I have been buying large 67.6 oz bottles of Bertolli brand from Sam's. I then pour it into a smaller more manageable bottle for my cupboard.
    thats the brand i use for sauteing but i buy the light, not the evoo. and i but canola for frying, havent bought a bottle of evoo for a while now, i get a putty smell not long after opening a bottle now and i store in a dark closet that gets opened mainly just twice a week
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I too store my large bottle in a dark spot out of any direct sunlight and have never had a problem. I used to just buy small bottles fearing it would go rancid, but I've been buying these large ones for years without a problem. Lucky I guess.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I like Colavita for recipe use.  And Lucini Premium Select for the finer salad, finishing tasks.  Cooking is reserved for lard and ghee.  Easy to make your own. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I use Carbonell for both Extra Virgin and regular Olive Oil.  I use it because my grocery store carries them in a metal can instead of a plastic/glass bottle.  It's also a Spanish Olive Oil so it's got a milder taste.  When I'm going to cook with olive oil I use the regular olive oil, not EVOO.  The EVOO is reserved for salad dressings or drizzling on top of already cooked food.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It might say "olive oil" on the bottle, but there's a good chance a lot of you are ingesting oil other than olive ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Virginity-Sublime-Scandalous-World/dp/0393343618/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441060813&sr=8-1&keywords=Extra+virginity

Its definitely an interesting read.  Can probably find a free copy at your library like I did 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Trader Joes Evoo or Kirkland. Same price. I don't cook with anything else. Except vegetable oil for frying which is very rare.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Peanut oil for cooking - I buy it for deep frying, and it seems to work well for  cooking.  Costco evvo.  Not sure what the difference is but they had three options last time I was there.
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    I USE AVACADO OIL FOR COOKING.  I PREFER THE FLAVOR AND HAS A HIGHER SMOKE TEMP.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • morrobayrich
    Options
    California requires anything labeled Extra Virgin to be 100% Extra Virgin.  Italian law requires anything labeled Extra Virgin must be at least 51% Extra Virgin. :s
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Peanut oil for cooking, spanish olive oil for dressings/garnish/shots here.

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I USE AVACADO OIL FOR COOKING.  I PREFER THE FLAVOR AND HAS A HIGHER SMOKE TEMP.

WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING? YOU SOUND LIKE MY 13 YEAR OLD WHO HAS NO INSIDE VOICE!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Costco's is good and I believe they are now getting most of their oil from Greece.

I really like the Yellingbo oil from Australia and that is what I use most. I buy it in their 4 liter bladder in a box (cask) which really keeps it fresh. Two of those boxes will last me about a year.

I use EVOO for cooking if the temp is low enough that it won't start smoking (i.e. marinara) and of course on salads/drizzling/marinades/etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options

WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING? YOU SOUND LIKE MY 13 YEAR OLD WHO HAS NO INSIDE VOICE!
    SO THE OP CAN HEAR ME.  HE STARTED IT. ;)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When Rachel Ray says "EVOO", I want it to stop.
    Options
    +1 ^^^^^^^^^.  Good olive oil is best for finishing and dressings.  Harry's 365 Spanish is excellent.  For cooking, as mentioned it's canola, avocado, peanut, vegetable...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    My wife's friend runs a specialty olive oil store here it town.  It's pretty cool, we get hooked up (we have 2 recipes there they give away with customer purchases) and they have tons of fused flavors (great for salads, dressings etc).  You can order online.  And no I don't get any kick back.  Check out the link they have a lot of balsamic a as well.

https://redstoneoliveoil.com
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Yeah, I use snooty Bertollis, good stuff.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    When Rachel Ray says "EVOO", I want it to stop.

I want Rachel Ray to stop.  The woman annoys me to no end.

Phoenix 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    So, you're both watching Rachel Ray?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Legume said:
    So, you're both watching Rachel Ray?
    Not on purpose.  That screeching harpy makes me want to kill.
    Options
    Does the government know you have these feelings?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They do now  :o
    Options

I am using California Olive Ranch. Pretty good stuff.

Rachel Ray is the most annoying host on TV. Yelling, talking at her food as she cooks, and interrupting every sentence her guests say. Poor John, her husband, having to listen to that in the kitchen every night.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    +1 for California Olive Ranch. Available here at Walmart for about $9.00. If the bottle isn't stamped with a "harvest date", it is a more than likely a blend or not 100% extra virgin olive oil, but a lesser grade.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC