Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Egg

Options

Just noticed my large egg is cracked on the outside of the lower section.

Strangely enough the fire box and the fire ring are also cracked; almost in line with the exterior crack. Weird.

No event. No impact. Just appeared. It is just over 10 years old. I have replaced most everything else on it (multiple times) but I thought these parts were pretty much impervious.

Any ideas on what I may have done?

Thanks 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    My base cracked after 7yrs.  It happens but the good thing it's covered by your warranty if you are the original owner.  For some reason I think the firebox & ring are only covered for either 3 or 5yrs.  I'm sure somebody will be along shortly that confirm 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • deflategate
    Options
    My fire ring crackrd today not sure whati  i did but it is what it is
    Shirley, MA.
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    My fire box has a couple of cracks but it is still in one piece and has not split into parts. I just noticed my platesetter has a crack as well. I'll eventually see if my local dealer will replace the fire box or whether they make up some excuse. The dealer is basically a full MSRP dealer so my expectation is that they'll not want to invest time to get a part under warranty until its 100% needed.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've got a cracked base, firebox and platesetter.  I called my dealer the other day, he said email pics and they'll call when the parts are in.  He did tell me the platesetters aren't warranteed any longer.  Mine is still in one piece, but has a growing crack that's about 2/3 of the way across.