Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Cobbler

butert
butert Posts: 202
I have made some peach cobbler a couple times now and every time the sides and bottom are completely charred.  The first time I made it I set the dutch oven directly on the plate setter, the next time I put a grate on the plate setter, and yesterday I put it high in the dome like a pizza and still had the same result.

The recipe I follow says to heat the dutch oven at 425 for 10 min then take off and put two sticks of butter in the bottom.  I rub the butter all over the sides and the bottom then put my filling and peaches in.

is 425 too hot?

What am I doing wrong?
Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Should not be too hot. 375 - 425° is typical for cobbler. How long are you cooking it for? Are you sure the egg temp is accurate?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• butert
    It usually takes 45 minutes to cook.  I checked my gauge a month ago and it was reading correcly.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    45 minutes at 425° seems too long.  I would expect no more than 30 minutes at that temp.  Try shorter time.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    You might want to try just melting the butter in the microwave and put the CI in cold. Also, try backing off the temp. 

Another option is to look for another recipe. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    My CI & cobbler goes in cold.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • butert
    Ok, thanks.

I was keeping it on for 45 min or until I could get a toothpick in and out of the middle clean.
  • I do CI with melted butter so the CI is warm going on. I have changed to cooking it at 400 for about 30 mins. Once the sides pull in on the cobbler it is ready to come out. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • golfguyjosh
    golfguyjosh Posts: 196
    edited September 2015
    Here is one of my many cobblers I have made. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @butert   I don't think you're doing anything wrong either, other than leaving it on a little long.  I cook mine at about the same temp.  I set a timer and rotate it at 15 minutes and another timer to pull it at 30 minutes.  Sometimes I leave it in for an extra couple minutes.

@golfguyjosh  Man, that is the definition of a perfect cobbler imho.  I like the edges to be a little chewy like that, and you nailed the golden brown.  I'm hungry.
    Phoenix 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I want to look at how the plate setter is set up. make sure you have legs up and the grate on. Straight indirect. I would calibrate the thermometer just to make sure. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    On the LBGE I go legs up on PS, grid, CI pan or tin and 350-375 and sometimes bump the temp toward the finish to get crisper top.
    On the MM i go WOO with deflector with the WOO legs atop the fire ring to get higher in the dome and 375℉ has been the sweet spot on cobblers and crisps. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've been doing two cobblers or crisps at the demos for a few weeks now. I melt the butter in a SS pan to the point it's almost completely liquefied then remove it and let latent heat do the rest. Mix ingredients. Pour butter into my cold/room temp greased CI pan or tin and then the mix. Insert into preheated egg and 375℉ish about 45 minutes or till top is golden. Easy peasy :smiley: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • You ever considered using an oven?  There are some things that actually cook better there.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    You ever considered using an oven?  There are some things that actually cook better there.

@GATraveller

I like you, so I'm going to cover my eyes and pretend you didn't post that.
    Phoenix 
  • butert
    Thanks for the advice, I will try it again at a lower temp and see where that gets me.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    just a shot in the dark but looking at others pics and your description, skillets verse dutch, im wondering if your temp gage is hanging inside the dutch getting false readings from the cold food added. just from other cooks i know i need dome temps between 300 and 325 just to get a light simmer in a dutch, something fluky goes on temp wise with those things in an egg with the higher sides
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    STop burnin' the cobblah!!  Lower your temp.