Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef Temp?

Options
going to do the corned beef/pastrami thing today. I have seen internal temps for finished cook all over the place.  Recommendations please. 

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Just did a search for corned beef temp and this is the only hit, from back in August 2015.
    iGrill2 says brisket should be 160 - not in my house!! I was thinking closer to 200, guess I'll just poke it until it feels right.  (Yeah, I said that, go ahead.... I know there's a lady parts joke in there)

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @DieselkW  You will find many discussions if you search for pastrami.   

Good set of instructions at:
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    i did one a while ago and cooked it just like a brisket.  very good. I need to do another.
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I usually start from scratch with about a 7 lb. brisket split into halves to make the corned beef.    After it is cured, I turbo cook the corned beef indirect at 275-300 until it reaches a temperature of about 160.   Then I foil each half of the corned beef tightly with about 1/3 cup of beer for each half and continue cooking until it reaches a temperature of about 200-205 degrees.  I then wrap each piece and put them in an ice chest for about two hours.  Finally, I add put them back on the egg, still using the indirect method, to dry the surface of the meat.  Turns out great.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)