Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back vs St. Louis

Options
dmirish1
dmirish1 Posts: 115
I've got a neighborhood rib competition this weekend and I haven't decided which type of ribs would be best to use. In the past i usually just pick the meatiest ribs i can find at our local Foodlion without paying much attention to which kind i got. I was also thinking about using the Car Wash Mike's Baby Back method. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1133699/car-wash-mikes-baby-back-rib-class/p1
Anyone have an opinion which might be better to use? I'm looking for not quite fall off the bone meaty ribs.

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    my preference is the st loius cut from the local butcher, i distrust the supermarket ribs big time after a few trys and finding their ribs to be solution added but marked fresh. dont trust ribs if not in the origional cryo
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i prefer st louis style spares, but kids, neighbors and those only familiar with ribs from the boil-in-a-bag restaurants respond better to loin backs.

and for a contest? well, most barbecue contests seem to have little to do with what the cook likes and more what the crowd likes
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    St Louis spares all the way tor this egger!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The meatiest ribs I can find are loin back at Costco and I get the best results with them.
  • MelSharples
    Options
    Agree with @Eggcelsior I just saw pork loin back ribs at Sams this morning. Definitely meatier than the 3 pack of baby backs sitting next to it. I know it's technically the same cut but the butcher left on more of the loin than I have typically seen.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    Options
    I went with the Costco St Louis ribs. (3) for 4 1/2 hours per Mr Car Wash Mike. Competition goes at 1400. I'm hoping for my third straight win!

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax