Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do all the points (deckles) go!

Options
Mosca
Mosca Posts: 456
If all you can usually get in supermarkets is flats,

and for every flat there is a point,

then what happened to all the points?

I've heard two explanations. The first one makes sense, that they're turned into hamburger. The second one, that I'm a bit skeptical about, is that they are cut off and sold to unsuspecting easterners as tri-tips.

So what happens to the points?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Ground Beef. Wrong end of the cow to call it tri-tip and there is no way you could serve medium rare due to all the connective tissue unless you Sous Vide it. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    And to make real - I mean real corned beef and pastrami. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I see a lot of corned points in the supermarkets. Heck, I even got a couple in the deep freeze!
    NW IOWA
  • jbjet45
    jbjet45 Posts: 52
    Options
    I live in Missouri and i can get a brisket point in a vacuum sealed bag with all the spices to make it a corned beef.  There are half a dozen in there every time I go it seems like.  I bought one and tossed the spices and just did it like a regular brisket and the cubed it into burnt ends.  It was pretty good for vacuum sealed meat,  but I have made better.  Not bad for burnt ends though