Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why Not Sliced?

Options
JohnH12
JohnH12 Posts: 213
It seems most here take their pork butts to 200+ and pull/shred it.
I prefer sliced.
Anyone else like sliced rather than pulled? If so, at what internal temp do you take it off the egg?
Thanks.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Pork can be cooked to 145* if you don't mind some pink, otherwise 160*.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Funny you posted this. My son likes sliced for school lunch. Usually around 150
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    If your slicing a shoulder ("butt") then I would take to 165.  There is a lot of fat in this cut and you want to render some of it.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have researched this as well and I have seen temps all over the place between 140 -180 as the correct temp.  If you are looking for Q style sliced pork, I am thinking 170-180ish might be best.  I know pork is safe at 145 but I think there might still be too much fat and the bark may not have formed.  I think 180 is what is recommended for chopped pork so I think it would be similar for slicing. 

Found this and he pulled at 172:
    http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1679

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Not many around the forum here do sliced.  I do like my BBQ a coarse chop, instead of pulling. 

For a coarse chop, I have to slice the meat first. I take my butts to 165-170°.  Then start my process.

In my neck of the woods, pulled BBQ isn't the norm. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm fine w. sliced pork, just not from the butt. There are a couple of really tender muscles in the shoulder, but they are mixed w. lots of connective tissue and fat. So most people go to 195+ so that the flt melts to baste the meat, and the connective tissue gels, and replaced lost moisture w. succulence.

It you want sliced, a picninc works better, a fresh ham, even better than that. I usually take those to 165+. Makes both great dinner meat and sandwiches.