Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising the grid.

Options
I know they sell things like the ARs and the woo2 for this. But at the moment money is tight. I see people use empty cans or bricks for this. Do they need to be fire bricks of can I use bricks like that are left over after building a house? 
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,510
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I would suggest three empty beer cans but with regard to the bricks, I used fire bricks when starting out.   However, I'm sure many have used regular bricks with no issues.  Easiest is to get a slightly smaller diameter grid (Weber has several sizes) as well and then the brick balancing is eliminated from the set-up.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I did the brick thing when I first stared. I wrapped them in HDAF .. no problem at all.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options
    four bolts and associated washers and nuts...
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    edited August 2015
    Options
    These bolts are stainless but have discolored after a few cooks. Used an upper 17" grid from home depot. Whole thing cost me about $24

LBGE in Northern VA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I took a hammer and chisel to a regular clay brick and broke in 3 fairly similar sizes. Stood them on ends on fire ring. I used this for a year or so without issue
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Any type brick should work, but I'm a fan of fire bricks for one simple reason. They are 9 x 4.5 x 1.25. When stood on edge the 4.5" works perfect for me and I only use 2 and have never knocked them over. Then when I'm done they take little space unlike the purchased equipment let alone finding a spot to store the homemade bolts and grate. Works for me!

• rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options
    Ron...but you DO have an extra grid AND bricks to store, no? I'm thinking about picking up those bricks so I can raise the grid even higher if need be
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    rmercier said:
    Ron...but you DO have an extra grid AND bricks to store, no? 
    yes, but my 3 pieces knock down flat so they take less space. In actuality the grid just hangs on a hook behind my table and the 2 bricks stand upright on their small end against one of my table legs so really storage isn't an issue in my mind. Sorry you took offense to my comment.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I used to use bits of pavers that were cutting scraps from the coping for our pool.  A while back, there was a group buy of a custom swivel bracket that lets you put a second grid on top of the main one.  I use that now, and am spoiled...I almost always cook steaks raised now, using the lower grid only to sear at the end.