Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Eggsperience

Options
ted
ted Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi Everyone,[/p]
[p]After much consideration, I bought an egg yesterday. Was going to get the medium, but my local dealer did not stock it. They said I could get a medium in a couple of weeks (or sooner with $80.00 shipping!). So, I got the large (I have to say that if I ever become an egg dealer, I'm just stocking large too - smart move). $125.00 difference, but that's not really much considering the big picture. I wasn't able to cook right away so had to wait until today. [/p]
[p]So, here are my very first egg experience and results.[/p]
[p]prechicken.jpg[/p]
[p]Ready for the egg. Butterflied then kosher salt, black pepper and olive oil rubbed on then sprinkled with paprika. Just before putting it on the egg, I added some just-picked rosemary and a few garlic cloves on top of my lump for smoking. [/p]
[p]cooked.jpg[/p]
[p]Fresh off the egg. It came apart when I removed it - no problem. Slightly more charred than I would have wanted, but maybe I'm just being picky. Big portabella shrooms cooked on the egg too. Shrooms drizzled with olive oil and placed on the egg after the chicken flip and left for the whole 25 minutes used to cook the other side of the chicken.[/p]
[p]dark.jpg[/p]
[p]Dark meat still on the cutting board. What can I say but Perfection![/p]
[p]plated.jpg[/p]
[p]Plated with asparagus and roll - both also grilled on the egg. Light coat of olive oil and kosher salt on the asparagus before going on the egg. [/p]
[p]Everything tasted great. The flavors really penetrated the chicken very well. More than I expected. The portabella was also just perfect. Kinda crisp but quite tender. I was really worried about leaving the portabellas on for 25 minutes but I did not want to lift the lid until the chicken was ready. So, I decided it would be an experiment and I would learn something if they got ruined. Glad I stuck with that.[/p]
[p]The egg was a joy to cook on. I felt so much more in control of what was going on that with any other grill I have cooked on before. It was quite easy to moderate the egg at 350 degrees. I found it very simple to adjust the egg's temperature as little as a few degrees in either direction by making minor adjustments to the vents. I thought there might be a somewhat large learning curve when first using the egg, but that curve seems flat to me. I think I understand it very well. I am eager to move on. [/p][p]
Also, I must say that this forum made a huge difference in my decision to buy the egg. The sheer volume of posts and experiences here proved to me that it was a good product worthy of my investment. I had a gas grill picked out and it came down to it or the egg. I ended up paying twice as much for the egg, but I think it's going to prove to be quite worth it.[/p]

Comments