Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Suggestions?

Options
Hey folks...love the site and appreciate all the help. Have been using the BGE for a while but have never done a brisket. Can anyone give me a few tips on rubs, cooking temps, and how long it will take? I have done a butt and experienced the stall, so not sure what to expect.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Welcome!

Volumes upon volumes of brisket info here and on the interweb. Here's a good link to get you started! Watch the series and then come back with some specific questions and you`ll likely get better responses.

Good luck!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. @TexanOfTheNorth set you up right. Quality of brisket going in is a big factor in the outcome. Also, don't over-think it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Silverking
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I'll watch the videos.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I've cooked less than a dozen so I'll give you advice from a brisket novice:
    cook a packer, not a flat. As said above, better meat has more fat and is easier to cook. Look for a cooking method you can do during the day. Learning to cook brisket during an overnight cook is really hard!  

You'll need to trust yourself to determine when the meat is nice and jiggly and done (you'll see people say it "probes like buttah") and not totally rely on a thermometer. 

Come up with a simple plan and refine it so it works for you. I have been smoking at 250 for 4-5 hours then wrapping in butcher paper and cooking around 290 until done and have been happy with results. 

And be sure to post pictures!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Silverking
    Options
    Blind99...is it usually about 1 hour per pound or so?

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Blind99...is it usually about 1 hour per pound or so?

That's not a bad ballpark, but, some take longer and some are quicker. I try to allow more time than less as you can always ftc to get from the finish line to serving time. To me, that's better than trying to speed a cook up while hungry people are breathing down your neck.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I concur with @TexanOfTheNorth =)

also if you put an @ in front of a persons name it will notify them that they were mentioned
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Silverking
    Options
    Thanks..can't wait to try and will post some pictures
  • winojeff
    winojeff Posts: 67
    Options
    Cook to 190, NOT 290.