Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Injection

Options
This will be the first time that I will be injecting my pork butts.  I'll be cooking three 10 pounders.  I've read that I have to keep it out of the danger zone after injecting.  I've cooked my share of butts normally at 250, 12 to 18 hours I've got the time tomorrow so not worried about that.  What is concerning me is the danger zone because I'm injecting???.  I want to inject as a trial.  I'm not overly concerned but does anyone have more concrete info.  Thanks!

Comments

• CDPlaya
    CDPlaya Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I am looking to do a pork butt injected also. All i could find was a Carolina injection recipe.

So what do you inject with?
    "One Job at a Time, One Day at a Time" 
    " Stop and smell the Roses " Life is too Short
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I'm going to inject my next butt with Goya Mojo. It's worked on birds and roasts so I'll give it a try with some pork.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I inject with broth, beef, chicken doesn't matter. Never worried about the danger zone you refer too. The meat will cook to 204 degrees, no danger there.. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I am going to use Chis Lilly's injection it seems quite basic I may add some cayenne.  The danger zone I read about was because you're injecting the meat has to get to 140 in four hours.  Can't see that happening. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The way I look at pork butt injections (I don't inject) is that none of the NC Q joints I know of inject their pork. If it's good enough for them...

That said, if Lilly injects and ain't dead yet...........

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut