Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two butts

Options
amhobbs
amhobbs Posts: 51
Hello everyone I was going to smoke one 11 pound butt this Tuesday but decided to smoke two 7 pounders instead. My question is does cooking the two butts instead of one make a difference in the cook times? 
Thanks
Andy

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    As long as they don't touch yes
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Well I think he meant No  as long as they are air gapped    might see a slightly longer time
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brother T, as per @swordsmn.  However, Butts have personalities.  I've had 2 same sized Butts finish an hour apart, and not because one was on the front and the other on the back.  Monitor IT.  Pull when they probe like buttah or the bone releases freely.  IT usually 200 +/- 5 degrees.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Each butt cooks independently (assuming they are not touching and air can circulate between them).  Estimated time will be that of a 7 pound butt.  Remember that all timing estimates are rough so the two butts will not necessarily finish at exactly the same time.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• amhobbs
    amhobbs Posts: 51
    Options
    Great thanks for the responses. Now I just need to try and keep the meat from hanging over the edge of the plate setter.