Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye Cap!!

Options
MelSharples
MelSharples Posts: 260
I have been portioning my own sub primal bone in and bone less ribeyes for several years and never knew that I was missing out on the single most flavorful cut all this time, the Ribeye Cap. Buttery, beefy, tender, juicy, how many more adjectives are there to describe a slap your momma, eyes rolling to the back of your head, kind of euphoria when I tasted this for the first time. Oh Spinalis Dorsi, I only wish I knew I could portion you out years ago!
LBGE 2015 - Atlanta

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I wasn't aware of these until I ran across some at my local butcher shop.  They're waiting patiently in the fridge.  So excited to try.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MelSharples
    Options
    You're in for a real treat @gatraveller.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    When I'm served prime rib, I leave the "cap" till the end to eat as it's the best part of the prime rib. I didn't know some cut this into its own cut. 
    I brought in 3 prime ribs and processed them for the first time th other day. This is dinner tomorrow. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185480/rib-cap-steaks-or-whole-rib-cap
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    How difficult is it to remove the rib cap (Spinalis Dorsi) from a standard bone in rib roast?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MelSharples
    Options
    Since you're cutting most of the fat off when you portion it out you lose a lot of weight from the finished product compared to a traditional ribeye steak or prime rib roast. I can see why butchers/restaurants don't sell it that often and when they do it is astronomically priced. Also, the remaining ribeye steaks resemble something more like tenderloin in size and appearance. It's not something I plan on doing with every sub-primal but it is pretty fantastic. 
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • MelSharples
    Options
    @smokeypitt it isn't overly difficult as you are basically separating the large fat deposits from the meat. Once you find the seams it basically pulls away. Of course with a bone in rib you'll cut away the bones 1st, then the fat lip, then the rib cap, and finally the rib roll. Check out the youtube video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75_5Zptlv5k
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks Mel! That is very helpful.  I think I might have to try this on a cheap rib roast first :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.