Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So-your favorite L&S cook; brisket or butt?-or...

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,522
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
I have seen many recent cooks extolling the desires for either a butt or brisket cook.  So, suppose you have a free calendar weekend day (or traditional work week day if that works for you) and your choice, who's on first?  I am all brisket here. (and not from TX).  
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Pork RULES!!!!
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Pork. I'm a Carolinas boy.
  • GRE1
    GRE1 Posts: 68
    Options
    Both!
    XL times 2
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    If time allows (24+hours) it's a whole beef shoulder for me. AKA- clod. If time is somewhat limited, then brisket. As of late, I have been able to knock them out in around 5 hours. Give or take a little either way. This is not the case with a massive clod. It's at least a all day event any way you look at it. I love good pork but beef is the clear winner for me. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Smokinpig for sure. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• lousubcap
    Options
    @SGH- I definitely failed to account for your smoking and appetite prowess.  All apologies :).  But I have the beef message.  Enjoy the remainder of the weekend.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Both, but if I had the time and had to choose, brisket.  I doing points when I can find them, because I love me some burnt ends.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Turbo Rules
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Love them both please don't make me choose :o
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Mickey- why does that not surprise me.  Definitely sounds like you are pounding the miles on your Toyota, keeping ice in your Yeti and enjoying "Every day is Saturday".  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Mickey- why does that not surprise me.  Definitely sounds like you are pounding the miles on your Toyota, keeping ice in your Yeti and enjoying "Every day is Saturday".  
    Oh so true. Plus I just to damn old for slooow cooks. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH- I definitely failed to account for your smoking and appetite prowess.  All apologies :).  But I have the beef message.  Enjoy the remainder of the weekend.
    Actually I should be the one apologizing my friend.  After reading the question again, you clearly stated between brisket and pork butt. I missed that the first go around. With that said, my vote goes to the brisket over the butt. And enjoy your weekend as well. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    @SGH - I didn't know what clod was until I saw you post a pic of one. I would love to see one actually smoked. 

But since it's butt or brisket, I'm going with brisket. 
    New Orleans LA
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @hapster- now that is a great post-I failed to include body parts as my liver is getting a workout at least six days a week-today is no eggception.  And I'm also aiming for low earth orbit in a few hours-booster ignition will be bourbon after a steady beer fueled day.
  • SGH
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    @SGH - I didn't know what clod was until I saw you post a pic of one. I would love to see one actually smoked
    Funny that you should say that my friend. I may be able to fix you up with some pics of a smoked clod before the weekend is out. Bare with me just a little longer brother. 

Status- Standing by.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have never tried a brisket yet, but I do love the  piggy! 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No contest. Butt for me. Cooked brisket three times - three strikes. Two were awful, the third was much better, well, not awful anyway. I just don't like brisket. Never cooked a bad butt. Pork IS barbecue!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    Options
    Have to admit that I must say butt, only because I have never tackled a brisket...
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    Brisket...
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If I'm gonna spend the time on a slow cook it will definitely be beef and will will prolly be a pulled chuckie!!  I just can't justify cooking 12-15lbs of brisket for the 2 of us.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Love them both but after following the forum and seeing the magic of the brisket masters I know my brisket cooks are less than perfection. So, until I graduate from Brisket Camp, it's pork butt for me. 
    IL 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @lousubcap my first choice would be brisket. Thanks to you and @SGH. ;);)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    This is a tough decision. I would pick brisket first no doubt. But my wife loves a turbo cook
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Definitely pork. If I am in the mood for beef then I usually go for Chuck roast for pulled beef. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Well considering pork is about $1.50 per lb and brisket is about $5 per lb....I'll go with pork. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    Brisket for sure, but I've had string of brisket fails on the Egg.  I was a master of them on the old brinkman water smoker but can't seem to get them right on the egg.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @thetrim- I wish I could offer the solution-but as you well know, every brisket is a master of its own.  Coming over from a water gasser smoker as well, I find that the basic principles for the cook are no different (no revelation there) and the "probe like buttah" finish-line indicator is on the money.  
    Just fire it up and go again. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    I will ALWAYS be a brisket guy (have my second on as we speak) but it's hard to argue with the type of consistent results you see with the BGE and Pork Shoulder.
    Chicago, Illinois