Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting a pork butt need help!

amhobbs
amhobbs Posts: 51
I will be smoking about a 10lb butt next week and taking it to a party. My question is mainly should I pull it before I go which would be much easier or should I do it when I get there. I was planning on having the pork butt done a couple of hours early and letting it rest until almost time to leave and then pulling it. Also do any of you use a liquid to keep the pork moist after you pull it.
thanks,
Andy

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I typically pull at the party. Depends in how long your drive is. 
    No liquid. 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2015
    FTC it and pull it apart once you're at the party. It should stay warm and moist.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • How far is the drive.  If you can time your cook to finish when you need to leave, wrap it in foil and travel well.  Pull at the party. 

If you pull beforehand, seal it up well to maintain moisture.  You might need to augment with a little apple juice when you get to the serving location.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• it will stay moister and warmer if left whole, and put in a small cooler in foil.

i don't use the towels, because they go on cold and get warmed by the meat.  that heat comes from the meat (and creates laundry).  i just toss it (foiled) in a small six-pack-sized cooler and it will be warm for hours. small enough sized, the cooler will be fine without towels

better to pull it there so people can see it, smell it, and so that the moisture in the meat doesn't evaporate if you pull it at home
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I heat the towel in a dryer for a few minutes before I wrap the meat.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    +1 with the pull on arrival and regarding towels-they can work wonders in helping hold meat in the FTC.  I can get 7+ hours in an elcheapo Igloo cooler by pre-warming the cooler with hot water, then double wrapping the meat in HDAF and wrapping it in garage quality towels that have been warmed in a dryer.  BTW-lowest meat temp upon time to pull was 148*F. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Agree with @lousubcap on pre-heating the cooler.  A pot of warm water poured in to heat the cooler up, then use warm towels from the dryer....  That sucker will keep for HOURS!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I double wrap in foil but instead of towel use newspaper then into the preheated cooler.  Holds heat better than towels IMHO.  Guess the hard part this day and age is finding a newspaper.  My grandfather still reads it.   =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • @ GATraveller - Plenty of crap Atlanta Journal of Constipation papers around here........

• amhobbs
    My drive is only about 30 minutes away. I'm not completely sure I'll have time when I get there to pull it, do you think it will still be moist if I did it right before I left? I may try the apple juice trick never thought of that thanks.
  • theyolksonyou
    Seal it up tight, I think you'll be ok. Keep some juice in the back pocket. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Just out of curiosity how are you pulling the pork that you'd be concerned you wouldn't have time to pull it at the party?  I can shred a pork butt down in a few minutes with salad forks and quicker with other methods.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • theyolksonyou
    @Scottborasjr it's fun pulling that meteorite out of the foil and hearing the oohs and ahs whilst you go all Edward Scissorhands on that thing!
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    Eloquent Jason!  Just made my first meteorite last weekend.  You captured my mood perfectly!  (Swordsmn using wifes ipad again - dman)
  • amhobbs
    I usually just use two forks, I just like to do everything in my own kitchen instead of someone else's. Thanks for all the help. I'll see how much time I have I may do it there.
    thanks again 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    that heat comes from the meat (and creates laundry). 
    You've never gotten out of the shower and dried off with a nice fresh, porky towel?  You can smell pork all day.  Delicious!
    NOLA