Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone In Chicken Breasts

Options
I've only done spatchcocks since picking up my grill back in Feb.   I'm going to throw on some bone-in, skin-on breasts for a change since we usually end up just eating the white meat anyway.   I know raised direct at 375-400 or so, but not sure about flipping.    Should I approach it just like I do when doing spatchcock or is it better to flip when doing just the breast?
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I cook bone-in skin on breasts all the time.  I leave the grate where it normally goes.  I usually start skin side down to get a bit of a sear on them then I flip them and let them cook away.  Depending on the crispness of the skin, I might flip them again.  I usually go direct and somewhere between 350 - 400 degrees.  IMHO the BGE makes the best chicken.  Can't wait to see the finished pics.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Thanks man, that looks good.  Agreed on it making the best chicken.   The spatchcock is now a weekly thing for us.   I was just going to dial it down to a few breasts once in a while since the legs and thighs almost never get eaten except occasionally by me.   
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Same here, SWMBO likes the white meat and i prefer the dark, but with just the two of us it's easier to just do breasts.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    i start skin side down til fully crispy, 325/350 raised direct, then flip. these come out better if you can find whole unsplit breasts, juicy like a spatchcock cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have followed an APL recipe several times where they are brazed in a foil pan with butter, garlic, etc.  Before finishing direct.  Great results.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.