Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin

dmirish1
dmirish1 Posts: 115
edited July 2015 in Pork
So I had intended on getting a pork shoulder to do a long 14 hour cook again and asked the grocery store butcher to show me where the largest one was. So he shows us and i choose the largest one i can get which is 9 lbs. I get home and finally look at the label and it says "Whole boneless Pork Loin" ......$hit. This is not what i wanted. Anyone know how long i can cook this at 225 and what the internal should be? Is it still 145? or closer to 200?

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You don't want to cook that over 140.  But you can cut it up and make pork chops, or just roast the whole thing.  They're really good, but they get dry if you cook them too much.  They're plenty tender cooked to the lower temps.
    Yep I just cooked two smaller loins tonight....so good much tender.
    Tommy
    LBGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Still good meat.  Find a good butcher who can accurately respond to future requests. @nolaegghead is of course on point for cooking your protein.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Brining before the cooks also helps to keep it moist.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited August 2015
    Probably too late now, but honestly a big boneless pork loin is my favorite! Since its just the two of us I try to divvy it up to 1 pound chunks, and then FS and freeze them. Cooked indirect at 325 for roughly 90 minutes to an IT of 143 then slice into medallions! Warm some favorite THIN BBQ sauce such as Blue's TN Red along with an acorn squash with butter, maple syrup and pecan pieces and you will have a meal to be remembered and asked for time and time again!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    @dmirish1 the last pork loin I cooked turned out great. I put it in allegro for a few hours--then wrapped it in bacon and cooked it at 350 until it was about 150 (I like mine a little more done than 145). 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Roll-cut and stuff it. Cook at 350-400° until 145° IT.  Thick cut pork chops as listed above is another great choice. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • dmirish1
    @stemc33 that looks awesome! Im about to put on ours and cook to 140 like Mr  @nolaegghead suggested. Still pisses me off that i wanted the shoulder and not the loin. $hit happens. 

• stemc33
    dmirish1 said:
    @stemc33 that looks awesome! Im about to put on ours and cook to 140 like Mr  @nolaegghead suggested. Still pisses me off that i wanted the shoulder and not the loin. $hit happens. 
    You won't be disappointed. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 said:
    dmirish1 said:
    You won't be disappointed. 
    Well...how was it?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    I prefer the loin over the butt when cooked properly.  Try it with chicken stock or Cajun butter injection or cut into 2 inch thick pieces and cook to m145 then add a good blue cheese sauce like the one on cooking channel by INA Garten in STEAKHOUSE STEAKS. or cut a pocket and stuff with cream cheese and chives
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • dmirish1
    So the meat came out well. I ended up just slicing it up for sandwiches. It tasted great, as with most meat that comes off the egg. Also been using it for pizza toppings to use it up faster. I'm still looking forward to the pork shoulder. I prefer it over the loin unless the loin is smaller and stuffed.