Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I fit two?

Options
Greetings-

I just did my first rack of ribs on a LBGE and they were good enough that I have been tasked with making them for a party next weekend. I did a couple of searches on the forum with several permutations of wording but had no luck to answer this: Can I fit two racks in a LBGE on the regular size grate if I cut each rack in half? I don't have a raised grid of any sort so I am hoping the answer is yes. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great week!

Cheers,

Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Don't know how you cooked your first ribs but you can fit two cut in half-and can even stand them against each other if they are large racks.  Just make sure all are heat protected (indirect cook) and if any part of the ribs extend beyond your heat deflector that you use foil on the cooking surface.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I cooked three on mine.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Simple answer is yes.  Cutting in half helps with arranging.  Protect with foil (as lousubcap mentions) any that lean over the plate setter.  And, rotate the outer edges to the middle at least once during the cook.  That ensures they'll cook more evenly.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Perfect, thanks so much for the information and pictures.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Only two? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Wow, How did you adjust them? That is incredible.
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not mine. As shown on the pic, it's from Chef Wil. Pic's been around here since before my time. I almost never cook ribs.

Here's an old thread where Wil talks about it a bit.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/62119/20-racks-of-ribs

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut