Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork ribs showdown - regular vs Berkshire

Options
We visited Famu Japanese butcher (http://famu.ca/) on Sat and noticed they had Berkshire pork from SRF!!!  I picked up a package and I'm going a Turbo Ribs showdown. 

It's actually not too unreasonably priced.  The cut is thicker so much more meat packed on vs. the regular baby backs beside it.  I paid maybe $5 more for the Berkshire than the other rack (organic pork from T&T).

Here it is rubbed with Oakridge Pork and Chicken rub and sit overnight in fridge

Here are they on the grill.  The 2 on the right are the Berkshires.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Awaiting the results!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• d16lee
    d16lee Posts: 46
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The ribs turned out really good, despite lack of a deep smoke ring.  (That's turbo ribs for ya! :) )  The Berkshire has a richer flavor but both were quite good.  Here are some pics

Regular ribs 

The Berkshire.  The SRF cut has a bit of pork loin attached.  Very moist.

Both wife and son are happily fed - most important part. :)

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man those look excellent!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Nice. Thanks. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Mmmm...ribs. Looks great. So would you say its worth the extra money?

I don't think I've ever seen anybody probe ribs before.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• d16lee
    d16lee Posts: 46
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Mmmm...ribs. Looks great. So would you say its worth the extra money?

I don't think I've ever seen anybody probe ribs before.
    If you aren't tasting for it, you would not notice it.  For convenience sake, I probably wouldn't get these.  Going to the Japanese butcher, even on the same street as the other grocery store, I'm too lazy for that. :) And they came frozen so I would have to plan to cook it.) It's not the extra $5 vs. the organic pork ribs I got - these are meatier. 

I had probes in there for the wife.  I was just going to set it up and leave the wife to pull them.  She had me draw diagram of which ribs were which, write down the temperature, etc. that I just figured I work from home.