Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Meatloaf on the Egg

Options
Hawg Fan
Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
I've seen a few meatloaf post on the forum, but tonight was my first attempt.  I used your basic recipe, but added a few chopped peppers to the mix and gave it a good dusting of Holy Cow rub.  The meat was 1 pound each of ground pork and ground beef.  I served it with baked acorn squash and fresh corn.  No plated pictures...  I cooked to an internal temp of 160, but I wouldn't use a CI pan again.  It was over cooked on the bottom side.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I think I will be trying my first meatloaf soon. Yours looks good to me. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Curious from others....does anyone cook the meatloaf directly on the grid?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Directly in the grid, or on a pizza screen or even just apiece of foil with holes poked in for the grease to go thru. 

Love meat loaf on the egg and you can really get creative with ingredients. 

OP. Great cook!
  • Tbla
    Tbla Posts: 57
    Options
    I cooked a couple the other day.  I overlooked them by accident - but method was good.  Cooked indirect (plate setter with drip pan).   The bacon wrapped loaf was directly on the grate over the drip pan.  The others were in a disposable aluminum pan.  Turned out pretty good  - despite cooking too long.   
    Woodbury, MN.   LBGE, Weber gasser, ECB
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

I did one recently (sorry no pics) just in a pyrex dish and covered in foil until I added the catsup; didn't do anything fancy with it.  It had a slightly smokey flavor which was a new addition to my normal meatloaf recipe. 

So good. 

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Love meat loaf on the egg and you can really get creative with ingredients. 

OP. Great cook!
    I agree.  I see a lot of possibilities using different sausages or ground turkey with a variety of added veggies, cheese, rubs and glazing sauces.  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    I've never tried meatloaf on the egg and that looks great!
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE