Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Concoction for Drip Pan under St. Louis Dry Rub Ribs?

Options
Will cook 2 racks on LBGE at 250 dome. 5 - 6 hours. Leave it dry? Asking since I didn't use a drip pan the first time I did these. I thought they were just a touch dry. Just a touch though.

Comments

• Cerebellum300
    Options
    Amending: I used a drip pan the first time, just didn't have anything in it.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I use coke or dr pepper if I use a pan. 
  • MrMike
    MrMike Posts: 10
    Options
    I use a drip pan with a can of beer and chopped onions.
    I usually cook at 225 for the first four hours then I wrap it and cook another four hours at 225. Also pour some of the liquid over the meat before I wrap loosely.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I use dry drip pan on foil balls. 
    GWN
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Cerebellum300  the BGE is designed to keep moisture in. If the ribs finished dry, that would tell me you overcooked them. I use a drip pan dry ... I.E - no liquid of any kind.

Use the bend test to best determine when the ribs are done.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Cerebellum300
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Prior ribs may have been a touch over-done, but they tasted great anyway. I like to experiment as long as it doesn't involve anything crazy, so a can of beer in the drip pan it is.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've only over cooked spares a couple of time, once when the rack was unusually light weight, and low in fat. At 5 hours, some of the meat was crunchy it was so dry.

I have had racks that were dry on the outside, particularly when the ambient temperature got rather high, 300F+.

I do a late check on the ribs, around 4 hours. If the outside looks like it is getting dessicated, I give it a light mist of liquid, not enough to wash off any of the bark. Or, a very light brushing of oil, which I think works better.

I only add fluid to the drip pan if the drippings begin to burn, which makes for some nasty flavor. The notion that the pan fluids adds flavor as they vaporize doesn't seem true. If you want an apple flavor, for instance, brush a little apple juice concentrate on just at the end.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    There are as many methods and tricks as there are ribs to cook !!!  I always use a drip pan/water on every L&S.  I may not need to, but it works for me.  I'm always happy with the results. 

I cook mine (always babybacks) at 280 and they consistently finish up at 5.5 hrs.  As mentioned above use the bend test to check for doneness.

My advice is to "get" consistent, then you can learn what works and doesn't work for you, after you have tackled the initial learning curve of the egg temp control.

Just my thoughts. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Prior ribs may have been a touch over-done, but they tasted great anyway. I like to experiment as long as it doesn't involve anything crazy, so a can of beer in the drip pan it is.
    This is just a waste of a beer. It does nothing. No need to pu anything in a drip pan. If you are running 6 hours and getting dry ribs - you are using baby backs instead of spares and/or running at higher temp than you think. I cook baby backs 5 hours and spares 6. No foil. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013