Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firebox Crack.....Again

I LOVE my Green Egg but what is the deal with the weak Fire Box? I have had my Green Egg for over a year and already had the Fire Box replaced once and now my second Fire Box is cracked at two locations which makes it tough for the grating to stay in place. Am I doing something wrong? Is the grating to heavy? I've never dropped the lid or anything. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,983
    2 in 1 year does seem excessive or just bad luck. I'm on my 3rd fire box in 15 years. Unless you fear your dealer is going out of business then think on the bright side - your firebox stress was released and should last now for years! If the former, then go get yet another replacement, but tuck it away and keep using that box you just pictured.  Many of us here are doing just that have have cracked boxes that are in several pieces and fit together like a ceramic jig saw puzzle. Stuff happens! 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    Any chance of moisture getting inside at all? 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • KRhea02
    KRhea02 Posts: 5
    No, I keep it covered... I use it 5-6 times a week, do you think I'm over using it? 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    I use mine about the same. Has to be the casting of the firebox. Get another. Use what you have until you can't hold it together then insert the next one, as mentioned by RRP before. Hate you having this issue.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Were the cracks in the same spot on the first fire box?  Also, what's your setup?   Are you using a platesetter?  
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    I am on my second and have had it almost a year.   I tried using it like @RRP said,  but my XL didn't seem to want to get up to temp very well and the grate wouldn't stay in like the problem your are having.  I don't convert mine in the summer,  but I can't think that would make that much difference.   They should replace it is the good thing.   When my element on my old gas grill I had to pay for it.  Another reason to like the EGG. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    KRhea02 said:
    No, I keep it covered... I use it 5-6 times a week, do you think I'm over using it? 
    No - my personal record is 15 cooks in 6 days. That was not abusing the egg as much as the egger!  =)
  • RRP
    Let's go back to something you said.
    my second Fire Box is cracked at two locations which makes it tough for the grating to stay in place.

I don't quite follow that - your fire box actually rests on the bottom of your outer shell and then the fire ring rests on top of the fire box and then the grate on top of that fire ring. Please explain or better yet please post a picture to show us just how a cracked fire box 
     makes it tough for the grating to stay in place.

We are all trying to help you - OK - so no flames - OK?
  • KRhea02
    The cracks were similar but not exact. Here's a pic of the first crack on the first fire box. A month later the second crack came which made it extremely tough to keep the grate in place. I use the platesetter almost all the time. I wish the grate wasn't so heavy cause I feel like that adds to the stress
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    RRP said:
    Let's go back to something you said.
    my second Fire Box is cracked at two locations which makes it tough for the grating to stay in place.

I don't quite follow that - your fire box actually rests on the bottom of your outer shell and then the fire ring rests on top of the fire box and then the grate on top of that fire ring. Please explain or better yet please post a picture to show us just how a cracked fire box 
     makes it tough for the grating to stay in place.

We are all trying to help you - OK - so no flames - OK?
    Ron, I think he may be talking about the grate that the lump sits on. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • biggreenrob
    edited July 2015
    I think the back right portion of your egg is getting the bulk of the heat which is causing stress to that section of your fire box. I may be off but take a look at this video when he talks about the alignment of the firebox/fire ring and using the platesetter. In my experience, this guy is right and explains it very well so you may want to check this out. Starts at 4:52 in the video https://youtu.be/BcBOETTzqt0?t=4m52s
  • RRP

Ron, I think he may be talking about the grate that the lump sits on. 
    You are probably correct, but then I have to ask how crooked or un-level a grate has to be while sitting on the bottom of a cracked fire box to make a bit of difference of any sort. Good night - I have a headache trying to figure this one out! :)
  • KRhea02
    The grating sits on the 3 "bumps outs" on your fire box, the fire box sits center of the egg without touching any of the sides. When the fire box cracks at two location, the weight of the grate pushes the cracked half of the fire box against the side of the egg making it hell to rest the grate on the three "bump outs".

Good video, thank you for sharing 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Do you install the fire grate with the bevel up or down?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• canuck19
    canuck19 Posts: 53
    i recently bought an xl, 2 cooked in and my charcoal grate cracked in half then 2 cooks later my fire box cracked down one side I am frustrated and don't know why it would happen
  • RRP
    KRhea02 said:
    The grating sits on the 3 "bumps outs" on your fire box, the fire box sits center of the egg without touching any of the sides. When the fire box cracks at two location, the weight of the grate pushes the cracked half of the fire box against the side of the egg making it hell to rest the grate on the three "bump outs".

Good video, thank you for sharing 
    Hey, guy, just trying to help you. My present fire box that I have been using on a very regular basis for 6 or 7 years is now in 7 pieces. BTW I still have a brand new firebox in  my basement until this broken one becomes 12 or more pieces. This unlevel problem you say you are having isn't a real issue IMO, but please go back to your dealer for yet another replacement.
  • KRhea02

RRP, I didn't mean anything by that. After reading back it did sounded like I was talking about the grating the food goes on, my apologies. I didn't know what the lower part was called so I looked it up and it said the lower part where the lump sits on is the grating and the upper part where the food goes on is called the grid. I will take your advice and get a new one and keep using the cracked one until it can't be used anymore. I should have done that the first time.

Jeepster47, Installed with the bevel down.

• I think we have all had a ceramic piece crack at one time or another. For what its worth I have followed the advice of many of our forum friends, and ordered a warranty replacement, and continued to use my cracked component until it is unusable. I have been using MEECO'S RED DEVIL 610 Refractory Cement as a "mortar" to hold my fire bowl together for over a year and it has held up great to low and slow, and full blast temperatures.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ACIWN9Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01

hope this helps.

Houston TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Is your fire grate upside down?  I know that the factory one is beveled on the bottom side and if placed upside down can place undue stress on the firebox when it expands.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Order another use this. You don't need to remove it, or you can piece back. Really not a big deal.
    Seattle, WA
  • scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Made in Mexico my man.  The warantee is what makes these things so expensive.  They know that with each egg they sell, there going to have to send out replacement parts. 
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    biggreenrob, thanks for sharing that video.  I purchased my eggs about a month ago but haven't taken delivery yet.  Been building my tables for the outdoor kitchen.  But I have been reading and researching as much as I can.  I learned a lot watching that video, much more than I had to date.  Thank you very much for caring to share the video.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • biggreenrob
    Sonny3 said:
    biggreenrob, thanks for sharing that video.  I purchased my eggs about a month ago but haven't taken delivery yet.  Been building my tables for the outdoor kitchen.  But I have been reading and researching as much as I can.  I learned a lot watching that video, much more than I had to date.  Thank you very much for caring to share the video.
    You are welcome.  Good luck with the tables.  Congrats on the eggs.