Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Fig Preserves

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
My fig tree is massive and about to unload quite the bounty. Anyone have a tried and true recipe for preserves? I would like to try my hand at it.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    wish I had one to share, I can say I tried fig preserves for the first time recently and loved them - even used them as part of the base sauce on a pizza
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Figjam... Just ask Phil Mickleson
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    My parents make it every year. I'll try and get the recipe tonight. Knowing my mom, it's a little of this and a little of that until it's done. I'll see. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Well, hat went pretty much as I expected. 

wash figs and cut in half
    In a large bowl, 1/2 cup sugar for every cup of figs. Combine. When sugar dissolves, cook down until it changes color and starts to thread. Them you're ready to jar. 

Sorry. Old southern cook. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Fresh figs, you lucky guy! They're right up there with ramps in terms of favorite non beef foods
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Legume
    Options
    I think it needs some bourbon
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Man, I wish I knew how to make the fig preserves. My grandmother would make them every year, she also made strawberry fig preserves. They were out of this world.
    Another favorite that she used to make was pear preserves, they were like candy.
    I've got tears coming in my eyes just thinking about the divine preserves she used to make.
  • Legume
    Options
    @Chubbs here is a pic of the brand we've bought that we really like.  Looks like lemon flower honey as sugar source, nothing else according to this label.  I assume the % is by weight.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    google  and youtube have several options. I like them chilled with heavy cream in the morning.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Thanks @theyolksonyou appreciate the effort and I am the same way as your mom really. 

@GregW I am going to give it a whirl. My grandmother passed away suddenly years ago and a lot of unreal recipes passed away with her-- her fried chicken and okra were best ever. We never found the recipes which was upsetting. 

@Richard Fl Thanks. I am aware there are recipes online. I was hoping for tried and true from someone I trust on here as opposed to guessing which one sounds good online. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @Legume that looks and sounds great man. Decisions decisions
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Figjam... Just ask Phil Mickleson
    Okay, I'll shoot him a text. :lol: 
  • Legume
    Options
    Try a few small batches, it's not a huge involved cook
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Legume said:
    Try a few small batches, it's not a huge involved cook
    That's my plan. I am hoping to try a few different types. 
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You can dehydrate some also.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Chubbs
    Options
    You can dehydrate some also.
    Great thought... Thanks!