Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Chicken

Options
Rebhanmh
Rebhanmh Posts: 79
edited July 2015 in Poultry
First shot at this, only was able to brine for an hour due to timing and poor planning but it tasted really well. I also injected the brine into a few different areas and used the brine with butter in the bottom of the pan to help keep the chicken moist through the cook.

Cooked at 375 for roughly an hour and a half when the thigh hit just above 165. I'm sure I could have taken it off at 160 but the wife is preggers and I'm not taking any chances. Overall I think it was a 7.5/10.

Any tips for the future?

LBGE
Atoka, TN

Comments

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Depending what you used for brine, injecting it could make the bird to salty.  If you need to add flavor and moisture, I woukd say things like stock and butter  are more common than brine for injecting.  You usually drain and discard wet brines.  But it is a matter of taste and depends on your brine I guess.  On the temp, what was the breast at?  The thighs are more forgiving if you go over, so considering your wife's condition (big congrats by the way!), make sure that the breast is thoroughly cooked too. 
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle