Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The age old temp discussion.

Options
BrewDawg81
BrewDawg81 Posts: 1
Greetings ladies and gents,
    This is my first ever post so be gentle. I have had my egg for about a year now and done mainly butts on it. I see over and over again people pushing removing the butt at 195-205. I always take mine off at 185 and wrap it in foil and a towel and pull about 2-3 hours later. The bone pulls right out and the meat is crazy tender and moist. This has always turned out awesome for me and people just rave over it. I'm wondering what is the advantage if any to leaving it on until a higher temp.
     Thanks in advance for your input. I am still but a rookie in the great egg game.
Smoke on,
Chris

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Whatever works for you, everybody has different methods. The important thing is that you enjoy what you cook!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You've done well planning.  Wrapping in foil and resting for 2-3 hours makes a big difference (with your final product).  If you pulled right away I bet you'd have trouble at 185º.  195º-197º is optimal for pulling (right off the grill).  Better to rest though, like you're doing, if you can.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I too am a novice, don't change what works!  I pull at 200-205 without foil and like it.  As long as it works, it works!  You're relying on the carryover cook which is fine! Many ways to skin a cat!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
        This is my first ever post so be gentle. I have had my egg for about a year now and done mainly butts on it. I see over and over again people pushing removing the butt at 195-205. I always take mine off at 185 and wrap it in foil and a towel and pull about 2-3 hours later. The bone pulls right out and the meat is crazy tender and moist. This has always turned out awesome for me and people just rave over it. I'm wondering what is the advantage if any to leaving it on until a higher temp.
         Thanks in advance for your input. I am still but a rookie in the great egg game.
    Smoke on,
    Chris
    I think the exact same thing!! I pull mine at 188 and it's just as you describe. I have tried the 200 range and has always been dry. To each its on I guess. :-)
    Brandon, MS
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome... If it ain't broke.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Smoke on,
    Chris
    You know, I've cooked many butts over the years. I've been pulling a 200 Deg and I don't really care for the texture at that temp. It's too soft and mushy for my taste.
    I used to cook at 225 Deg temp. I made up my mind that that was causing the cook to take to long and directly causing the mushy texture.

I increased the cook temp to 250 Deg and still had the mushy texture.

I'm beginning to believe its not the cook time that's causing the problem. I believe it's cooking the butt to 200 deg is what the problem is.

Next time I'm going to cook at 250 deg and pull the butt at 190-195

It think the temp all comes down to what your personal preference is. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options

Smoke on,
    Chris
    I think the exact same thing!! I pull mine at 188 and it's just as you describe. I have tried the 200 range and has always been dry. To each its on I guess. :-)
    Cooking to 200 has never been dry for me. What egg temp are you cooking at?
    200 deg butt temp is moist for me, however it's too mushy for my taste.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Welcome here for finally posting and sharing YOUR eggperience. I know I will sound like a broken record to some folks here, but I always say fix whatever and however YOU like it - not what others say! After all YOU paid for the meat and YOU will be serving it, so whatever YOU like is fine! Sorry, about my soap box but I hate MY WAY or the HIGHWAY comments or recipes for that matter! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX