Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for a party, need advice on how to go about smoking everything to be done on time!

Options
Shant
Shant Posts: 15

Hey guys,

So I'm having a party Sunday and I'm planning on smoking some brisket, pork butt, and some ribs.

I only have a Medium Big Green Egg and I also have a gas grill.

I'm planning on starting the Pulled Pork Saturday night at around 9-10 pm and let that go till around 8 am, Pull it then go on refueling then throwing on the brisket. I'm hoping the brisket will be done in about 6 hours (It's only 4.5 lbs), then throw on the ribs on at around 1-2 pm and hope to be done by 5-6 pm when everyone arrives.

Is there a problem in the ordering? I'll also probably pull the brisket at 160 ,wrap it in foil then throw it in the oven to finish off to buy me time for the the ribs.

This is the first time I'll be doing anything this big for about 10-15 people, any advice is welcome! Also, how much meat should I buy? (I'm going to be using my gas grill to make veggies and baked potatoes)

Also, I was thinking that maybe I can pull off the meats at 160 when I usually foil them up and throw them into the oven set at 250-275 and let them go in there to save time. 

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Only real problem I see is holding the butt for 10-12 hours. And that small of a brisket should be no problem getting done.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,629
    Options
    Hold the butt in a low oven (170-180) until you need to bump the temp for the brisket.  FTC the butt at that point.  Turbo the ribs if you need to.
  • Shant
    Options
    Only real problem I see is holding the butt for 10-12 hours. And that small of a brisket should be no problem getting done.
    I think Legume solved that problem! I might go ahead and do what he said!
  • Shant
    edited July 2015
    Options

Legume said:
    Hold the butt in a low oven (170-180) until you need to bump the temp for the brisket.  FTC the butt at that point.  Turbo the ribs if you need to.
    My ONLY concern doing that is not being able to raise the temp of the butt in time. I'm just hesitant about my order and time, I feel like I'm going to mess up somewhere along the line. 

Also, what does FTC mean? 
  • Legume
    Options
    Foil, towel, cooler.  Put the foil-wrapped butt in a cooler with a bunch of towels and close it up.  It will hold in there for hours.
  • Shant
    Options
    Legume said:
    Foil, towel, cooler.  Put the foil-wrapped butt in a cooler with a bunch of towels and close it up.  It will hold in there for hours.
    Ah, Got Ya! That's what I normally do, I just didn't know the acronym. I'm just scared of not getting the ribs done in time! 
  • Legume
    Options
    I've never turbo'd ribs, but many here swear by it.
  • Shant
    Options
    Legume said:
    I've never turbo'd ribs, but many here swear by it.
    Would you by any chance have a quick overview or a link to how turbo ribs are done? 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @shant what kind of ribs? Just do 2-2-1 they will be done and taste great. Holding the butt is still my main concern. I do this for a living and holding a butt in a cooler for 10 hours will NOT work. Maybe 6 hours your good. Just my .02
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • moo4me
    moo4me Posts: 37
    Options
    Agree completely with legume on doing the ribs turbo. Get dome temp stabilized at 350 and toss them on for 2 hours, and don't open the lid to peak at them, They'll be just fine. Ive done 2-2-1, 3-1-1, left them on for 5 hours straight, etc but the past two cooks I've done have been turbo ribs and man are they great. If you need more details just search on here for Mickey's turbo ribs. That's what I follow and they are fantastic. Good luck with the party!
  • Shant
    Options
    @badinfluence That is my main concern as well holding the temp. It's an 8.25 lbs Pork Butt. Also, for the ribs,

@moo4meI might actually try turbo. I want it to be fall of the bone (that's how my cousins like it) so I might wrap it in the last hour or so. 

I'm still trying to figure out what time to start all this cook on Saturday to be good. The time has changed to around 2:30 pm so, everything needs to get pushed back a few hours. 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @shant brother you can lay the ribs right on top of the pork butt as it cooks. Now to do a brisket as well you are going to be tight on space. If you want fall off the bone ribs I would go 2-2-1 when you wrap put some parky butter down and some brown sugar then meat side down in the mix and wrap them...they will turn out great.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Shant
    Options
    @badinfluence I started on the pork butt and it's 9:30 PM, I'm kind of weary because I got a late start! I'm going to run that at 275 and hopfully by 3/4 am it will hit 160 so I can wrap it and put it in the oven then start on the brisket to make time for the ribs! I'll keep this thread updated. I'll add some pictures of the ribs and butt as well. I know it's not the most evenly cut ribs but I wanted as much meat as possible for serving. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Way to get after it @Shant

Keep us updated.
  • Shant
    Options
    Will do! I forgot, do you put in a dash of apple juice into the foil for pulled pork? I bought a big bottle of it and I forgot if it was pork! 

Also, can I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter instead of Parkey for the ribs? It's been sold out everywhere for me! 

The butt when I put it on:
  • Legume
    Options
    Apple juice is great with pork.  A pork butt is very moist on its own, so you don't need it with the butt, but fine if you do, kind of a preference thing.

I'm sure whatever butter you use will be fine, I've never done that but I can't imagine it's a big difference.  No stress man, enjoy it.
  • Shant
    Options
    @Legume Ah got ya! I don't know if I should open the whole 1 liter bottle for just a a quarter cup. Probably not. Trying to stay up as long as possible to get this butt to 160 so I can wrap it up, throw it in the oven at 190 and go to sleep while the brisket gets to 160. (Hopfully by 8 am so I can start on the ribs). I wish I had an XL! 

• Shant
    Options
    So as a follow up, I was able to get the butt and brisket out perfectly in time for the party and I threw on the ribs. The ribs came out I want to say horrible. Under cooked, chewy, etc. I have absolutely no idea why this happened. I did the 3-2-1 method and was hopping it it would work out. I threw them in the smoker for 3 hours, wrapped for 2 (which I threw in the oven at 275) then back on the grill for almost an hour and a half and it felt like it was still not cooked. I have NO idea why. I have made some good ribs before but this left me speechless and almost embarrassed. But there is always next time to improve! 
  • Legume
    Options
    bummer about the ribs, glad the rest of it worked out. from what you said you were doing with the ribs...it's a mystery.  should've been nice and bendy I would think after the foil.  I'm sure someone will come along here and help diagnose.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Sounds like it is time for a second egg! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's