Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Counter Top: Stain or Not?

Options
So my counter top is done and ready to stain. But I got to looking at it and I started thinking that it might look good naked. Well, not completely naked because it would have a marine spar varnish over it (might discolor a little from varnish). But it would look a lot like it does below. Stain everything in the lower table and then leave the top without a stain. It would look a bit like a butcher block counter. Can't see much grain in pine until it is stained.
It was 3/4" but then I added another 3/4" lip to it to make it 1.5" thick on the edges. Looks better with the thicker edge and makes the top a little more rigid.

Here's the top of the table:

Here's a closeup of the end of the table:

The stain I am using is a General Finishes Light Brown dye stain.
Here's a closeup of the stain on my drawer:

So what do you think? Should I stain it or leave it au naturel? I need to decide by tomorrow.

Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I see you mention pine. Pine will stain uneven unless you put a wood conditioner on it prior to staining. Uneven staining may be what you want it to be.

If it is pine it will need to be sealed with something, maybe even a deck type stain/sealer.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    The water based stain I am using doesn't act the same as an oil based stain. In my test pieces, I don't have a problem unless I go slow while staining and stain over dry stain. Even the end grain looks good.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I am going to say this. In relation, i built a picnic table out of pine. I gave it four coats of good spar varnish. Over time the weather has got in and started to create grey/brown spots. I dont think you can stop this. I wish i had stained it with deck stain. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I am going to say this. In relation, i built a picnic table out of pine. I gave it four coats of good spar varnish. Over time the weather has got in and started to create grey/brown spots. I dont think you can stop this. I wish i had stained it with deck stain. 
    That has been my experience using varnish on outdoor projects.
  • Toxarch
    Options
    I'm using McCloskey Man O'War Marine Spar Varnish. It's tung oil based so it shouldn't crack later.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    Chiming in..

i just refinished the heart pine floors upstairs with 100% tung oil. So glad I did.  Stuffs not cheap, and there is a method to applying, but the end result is timeless, durable, waterproof, food safe, and easy to repair. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    Note - this is 100% tung oil NOT the tung varnish or other versions available. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Toxarch
    Options
    I put some of the varnish on a test piece I have. It made the wood a slight yellow like a yellow pine. I think it looks good so I'm going to go that route. The whole bottom of the table will be stained brown and the top will be natural. I hope it looks good in the end. Not yet sure how it will look with the dark granite piece going on the right side.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.