Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Posting Pre-4th Cook

Options
Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
So I've been in Maine on vacation for the last few days.  My in-laws are at my house, and they're doing some tasks for us (painting our daughter's room, organizing the shed, dog sitting), so Thursday night I got a 9 1/4 lb bone in butt going.  I used one of my exchange gifts, BBQ-1 Pig Dust, and had the controller at 275 grate.  It went on about 9:30, with plenty of Apple chunks for smoke.

Next day around 12:30, it was looking good and the bone said it was done.  I FTC'd until around 5, and served on a roll with onion slices, a splash of sauce, fresh field peas and a side salad.  Left plenty of leftovers for my in-laws to eat this week!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Looks like you did a good job cooking it.
    I think I will try 275 Deg on my next cook. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Great looking cook !!  280*F is my XL eggs sweetspot. 9.5 hrs for a butt everytime...right on the money. Twisting the bone is always my final check for doneness when going to pull a butt for pulled pork sammiches.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!