Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sometrailsomewhere's Red Chicken Rub

Options
This has been my go-to rub for chicken for a few years now. In fact, it might have just convinced my wife to marry me. I have used it when baking chicken, as an add on to a spinach and feta stuffing, and now, on the Egg when doing boneless and skinless breasts. I can see it working on pork as well, but we don't eat much pig so we've never tried it.

I picked up much of the base from somewhere in my travels and reading, likely Ted Reader as he is a favourite of mine. Then I added in some local flavour which really shone through the first time I experimented with it - and so it became a staple ingredient.

2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon cane sugar
1 tablespoon hot mustard powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder 
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons summer savoury
2 teaspoons ground cilantro
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon dried basil

After patting dry your fresh chicken breasts, apply this rub liberally - depending on how hot you like it. My wife likes to couple her dish with a little yogurt just in case I put a little too much on. I will state that the next time I do this on the egg I will be brining the chicken beforehand, something very simple so as not to take away from the rub.

I find this has a little bit of tandoori to it, some Cajun, and a little bit of Acadian green thrown in.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Antigonish, Nova Scotia
Canadaland

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Very interesting, thanks for posting this up. I've never used (or even heard of; thanks Goggle) summer savory before. Anyone have any idea where to get it in the states? Can I just swap in sage?

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • sometrailsomewhere
    sometrailsomewhere Posts: 27
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You can order it from here: http://www.farmerjohnsherbs.com/Category/7-summer-savory.aspx

And hey, you guys down south will love the exchange rate!

Go ahead and try substituting whatever with whatever, the heat is what I really like about this dish. I just found that once I added the summer savoury that it gave another herby dimension that really complimented the spices.

Edited to repair broken link.

Cheers
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland