Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Pizza Pie-Post 2 of 3 for the 4th.

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited July 2015 in EggHead Forum
I was finally able to get back out to my grill for the 4th of July weekend. I haven't been posting (or cooking) much lately. And since I can never guess which items are going to interest people, I figured I'd post all 3 and let folks decide what interests them. Besides this dish I also made:

Duck & Mango Quesadilla
Beer-Brined Wings

This recipe was called Stuffed Pizza and was from Weber's Best Summer Grilling Recipes 2015. This was one of those recipes I knew I had to make from the moment I saw the amazing picture. It also solved a logistics problem nicely. Whatever I made for the 4th, I had to take this over to my parents house. The 15 minute cooling time allowed me get it over there in time to serve it as soon as it was ready. This was literally a pizza pie using an upper and lower crust. This was to be the first time I ever did a two crust pie of any kind. I had to adapt the recipe from a 9" cast iron skillet to using the Big Green Egg 13" Ceramic Pizza Dish. I partially pre-cooked the lower crust like other recipes I have made using this dish. This was as opposed to using direct then indirect in the cast iron pan. I used the AR on my baking Egg with a grate at the top (Level 6) to get me up into the dome. This always gives me a nice and evenly cooked crust.

Step 1 was to sauté a ton of onion, green pepper and garlic for the filling. This recipe also used mushrooms which no one eating the pizza really liked, so I left them out.  I sautéed  the pepper and onions for 9 minutes and then added the garlic for one more minute.

The sauce used ground basil, thyme and oregano, grated parmesan-regianno cheese, tomato paste, tomato sauce, minced garlic, sugar and olive oil. The resulting sauce was a very thick mixture indeed.

The dough for the lower crust was rolled out, docked to release any trapped air bubbles and then placed in the ceramic dish. The lower crust was partially baked for 10 minutes at 400 degrees and returned to the Kitchen to receive the fillings.

The bottom received 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, followed by 1/2 of the pepper, onion and garlic filling.

Next came a layer of pepperoni...

...followed by the remainder of the filling...

... and more pepperoni and shredded mozzarella cheese.

The upper crust went on next and was docked and sealed to the lower crust.

The tomato sauce went on top of the upper pie crust...

...followed by some parmesan-regianno cheese...

...and lastly some more shredded mozzarella cheese.

The pizza took 30 minutes to cook at 400 degrees raised indirect using the AR with the grill grid at Level 6". Being above the felt line and up in the dome gives you a nice evenly cooked pie, which does not required turning midway through.

The pizza had made the 8 minute trip to my parent's house, has finished cooling and is now ready to eat.

This pizza was the highlight of the weekend. This stuffed pizza was so good it resulted in everyone eating it being stuffed too. It had great layers of flavor. Although there weren't many leftovers, those leftovers were gone in less than a day too.

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    That looks perfect!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Welcome back.  Returning with a bang!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks AWESOME!  I did a Chicago deep dish not to long ago and it was great to, but I used to much dough and will cut it in half when I do it again.  Does the pizza mat and the spike roller help a lot?  I bought a 12" pizza pan to help get my crust more round, because I was having troubles doing so.  You are making me want to do another one, but you need a lot of people to help you eat those big deep dish pies.  My wife had me share the leftovers.  I took it to my egg dealer and they were very happy I did.  Again Great job. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Thanks for looking and commenting guys! 

@Ladeback69 The silicon dough matte is handy for helping to keep the counter clean. I roll it up and wash it off over at the sink. The rulers and diameter marks on it come in handy for measuring things. Not totally essential but I am glad I have it. This was my first time using the dough docker. For the first time I didn't have any bubbles forming in the crust too. Do I think this is a coincidence? No. Once again not totally essential but faster than using a fork.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    WOW - that looks amazing!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe