Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt

Options
Aubie1
Aubie1 Posts: 436
I have been cooking on the BGE since 06 but today was my first tubo butt. I have always cooked low and slow for 14 to 15 hours.  Set the BGE for indirect and set the Digi Q for a grid temp of 350. Put the 10lb butt on at 0615 and it was finished at 1415 (8 hours)  with an internal temp of 190. I have it tented for 2 hours and will then pull.

Even though the grid temp was set for 350, it never got above 300. Only thing that I have noticed is that with the 8 hour cook there is not as much bark as there normally is with the longer slow cooks.

I will update after consuming some of the pig this evening. Hope everyone has a safe 4th.
XL BGE and L BGE

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    sounds like you must have foiled - right? I have found that foiling a turbo produces little bark - but I don't know why.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Did you have a pan of liquid under the butt?? I ask this because the steam from the pan will keep the egg cooler close to the grid.  As for the bark I have found that unless you wrap like rrp mentioned the bark is nice and crunchy on a turbo cook.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Aubie1
    Options
    I did not foil and did have a pan of liquid. Don't get me wrong, I do have some bark but not nearly as much after a slow cook. The only thing I did different was the temp and duration.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • Aubie1
    Options
    The turbo pig was excellent. The only real difference was the amount of bark.
    Turbo pig may have been just a tad less moist but that may have been because I was trying to find a difference.

It is good to have another play in the book as back-up for weather or time.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I use salt in the pan under the butt, never water. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Mickey said:
    That is interesting, Mickey! Dry salt and I assume you meant coarse kosher salt - in a dry pan. Other than making clean up easier - but then a foil lined pan achieves the same thing - what benefit do you feel the salt does? I'm NOT being a sma*rty *ss I just don't follow the rationale. Thanks, my man!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mickey said:
    That is interesting, Mickey! Dry salt and I assume you meant coarse kosher salt - in a dry pan. Other than making clean up easier - but then a foil lined pan achieves the same thing - what benefit do you feel the salt does? I'm NOT being a sma*rty *ss I just don't follow the rationale. Thanks, my man!
    Curious about the salt as well. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Salt absorbs the liquid so it doesn't have a chance to scorch and give off smells.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Aubie1 said:
    The turbo pig was excellent. The only real difference was the amount of bark.
    Turbo pig may have been just a tad less moist but that may have been because I was trying to find a difference.

It is good to have another play in the book as back-up for weather or time.
    I've found that larger when turboing larger butts the outside layer can dry out more than usual.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD