Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Shoulder

Options
Dos_Eggys
Dos_Eggys Posts: 31
So, I continue to practice with my new Egg. Tonight....pulled pork shoulder. 4.5 lbs,  rubbed with a paprika, brown sugar, chipotle, mixture. Since I got my egg a few weeks back, this is the one thing I really wanted to do. Pulled pork is one of my favorite dishes. Set up the egg, indirect, 275. Apple wood for the smoke...drip pan underneath with some water and apple cider vinegar. Started out great....almost 3.5 hours in, stalled at about 165. My first stall...what to do?!?!?! I wrapped it, bumped the heat up to 350 (knee jerk reaction?!?!) and let it go. almost 1.5 hours later...it cruised to 195. Took it of and let it set for 20 minutes. Extremely juicy and pulled nicely. Bark was a bit soft from the wrap, but over all, I thought it turned out pretty good. Topped with some homemade slaw and pickles.....with a cold local brewed Vanilla Cream Ale.....enjoyable dinner. Even my 5 year old ate it....enough approval for me! Total time was just over 5 hours. Look forward to more practice!
KAB, DOT, Grill Grates, Smokeware Cap
Picnic Shoulder Addict - Huntley, IL

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it!

you can lose hen liquid in the pan, not needed and can lead to a temp spike

the stall is normal and will take a while and you can let it ride if you're not in a hurry. Bump isn't bad. 

Cook ok pulled pork to feel not temp. When it probes like butter, your done!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good job. Looks great!  What theyolksonyou said is of course completely accurate.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dos_Eggys
    Dos_Eggys Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you for the comments & advice, I will try this out on the next one. I was in a little hurry...thus the bump. (Didn't put it on until 1:00 PM) Next time I will allow more time.
    KAB, DOT, Grill Grates, Smokeware Cap
    Picnic Shoulder Addict - Huntley, IL