Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib fail (no pics... didnt happen?)

Options
I hosted a big gathering at my place to serve "the best ribs ever" last week. I last cooked ribs on my Egg a year ago and they were sooook perfect fall-off-the-bone. Yesterday, they were just ok. My friends still said they were good and had seconds, and I guess as cooks we are our own worst critic, but I was pretty disappointed. There was a lot of meat sticking to the bone and just not as tender as usual. I needed a knife to cut them... in the past, my ribs were literally fall off the bone if you picked them up by the bone.  

I did 3-2-1 about 215 F but after hour 4 the temp started to drop to 170 F and I had to re-light the fire. Also I crammed 8 big racks on a Large. Do you guys think that either of these is what did me in? Otherwise, I followed the same 3-2-1 process I had followed my previous times doing ribs so I'm a bit dumbfounded.

If the rule is "pics or it didn't happen" then I won't post pics. :) The egg'd jalapeño cornbread I made was amazing, but I forgot to take pics. :(

Thanks! 
-lee.
LBGE in Waterloo, ON

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Did you cook BB's or spares?  Spares take longer. If you want fall off the bone I would foil a bit longer. You can't always go by the strict time constraints. Every cut of meat is unique. The varied amounts of fat and connective tissues makes it a bit of an adventure. You really need to test the doneness to your liking. If you can pick them up and they don't brake in half, they are not fall off the bone. Good news is like the meat, people re all different. I like mine  with a little tug. Sounds like they hit the mark with your guests. We are definitely our own toughest critics. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Depending on how you "crammed" them, yes, it could have affected the cook time (e.g., if they were stacked one on another). You may have also created some air flow issues; may be why you had to relight.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Temp seems really low to me, even before you had fire issues.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Legume said:
    Yeah at 215 you would expect maybe an hour or so extra on the cook time. The lower temps are likely due to lack of fuel or clogged holes reducing air flow. I think the. Enormous amount of ribs could temporarily lower the temp, I don't think it would cause the issue you describe. I think @250 is normal for those x-x-x methods. 
  • ChucktownEggHead
    Options
    Sorry to hi-jack this post in a way but can someone explained 3-2-1 to me? I am new here and I have ribs on my radar. Thanks! 
    LBGE- Charleston, SC 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Sorry to hi-jack this post in a way but can someone explained 3-2-1 to me? I am new here and I have ribs on my radar. Thanks! 
    3 hours indirect (low and slow), 2 hours wrapped in foil, 1 hour, usually direct to get some crust/finish. Some will add liquid in the foil stage and sauce towards the end of the 1 stage.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @TexanOfTheNorth thanks for the input. That makes perfect sense. What temp do you shoot for with the direct finishing? Also- what kind of ribs to you guys prefer? 
    LBGE- Charleston, SC 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Legume said:
    Yeah at 215 you would expect maybe an hour or so extra on the cook time. The lower temps are likely due to lack of fuel or clogged holes reducing air flow. I think the. Enormous amount of ribs could temporarily lower the temp, I don't think it would cause the issue you describe. I think @250 is normal for those x-x-x methods. 
    I agree 100% with @pgprescott. Question, did you use a temp control device to hold the 215?

My egg can't hold that temp by itself without my Pitmaster IQ ... my egg's 'sweet' spot is right around 275.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth thanks for the input. That makes perfect sense. What temp do you shoot for with the direct finishing? Also- what kind of ribs to you guys prefer? 
    Actually, I do not use the 3-2-1 method. I just put dry rub on the ribs and cook them indirect in the 225-250* range 4-5 hours. Once the lid goes down I don't do a thing until they are ready.
    Options
    Thanks, guys.  

I have a large Napoleon rib rack: http://barbecuesgalore.ca/products/napoleon-rib-roast-rack ...it was quite crammed on this, so probably did lack a lot of air flow.  I think the best, most fall-off-the-bone ones that came off were near the back so clearly there wasn't enough flow around the entire egg.

A fellow EGGer said 210-240 for ribs and I thought that's what I tried last year but maybe I'll go closer to 240 next time given others seem to be leaning that way... 275 seems too high for me.  Maybe I'll invite less hungry people over to not have to try to fit so many ribs on it as well. :)

Another solution.... get the XL? :smiley: 

-lee.
    LBGE in Waterloo, ON
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    With ribs temp doesn't matter as much. The extra fat protects them from overcooking.  

I like the spares because they're meatier. But watch for shiners if buying from a butcher shop or meat market  

And FYI- 3-2-1 for spares. 2-2-1 for baby backs 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I have done several racks of spares....all going 3-2-1 @225*.....all were fall off the bone 
  • leeman13
    leeman13 Posts: 30
    Options
    I don't like spares. :)  Always had success with 3-2-1 for baby backs.  But I will definitely try hotter temps and expirment with 2-2-1 if it works for you, @johnnyp.  I think air flow and losing the temp in the middle probably was the downfall for me this time.  

Thanks for the support, everyone!!
    -lee.
    LBGE in Waterloo, ON
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Airflow was not the issue. Temp and time were. If it's 215 it is 215 thru out the dome. Remember grate temp is lower them the dome temp gauge is reading, so if the gauge was reading 215 then the grate temp was closer to 200. 
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I agree the temp was just too low.  When the egg dropped to 170 you weren't really cooking any more...you were just "holding".  

I find 250 dome is the sweet spot I can maintain for low and slow. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    250 grate is where I go. Usually means around 275 dome. Also did you remove the membrane on back of ribs? 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013