Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Table Plans Seem Huge

Options
I've been coming up with the plans for my new LBGE table. Normally, I just come up with plans in my head and build it. This table is a little harder in the head measurements so I put it down on paper. That's is a good thing because my original plan I put down was too small once I started thinking about it. I decided to reference the plans on the Nakid Whiz website to see how big their table was. Seems like they have very little clearance between the egg and the frame. Also noticed that they have a 2x4 marked as 4" in their plans. I haven't seen an actual 2"x4" lumber unless it was expensive or old lumber.

Anyway, I put my plans down on paper and started measuring stuff in my head. The table kept growing and growing. I'm currently at (roughly) 32" x 63". Part of the width is required because I am using a piece of scrap granite leftover from my kitchen remodel. That's an 18"x32" piece from the stove cutout. It's the depth that seems really big to me once I laid it out.  Now mind you, I just have a large. Would hate to see how big it ends up as an XL. The area for the egg is 31-5/8" x 31-5/8 with a 2" lip on the front and one side. That gives 1.5" of clearance between the egg and the 2x4 frame. Does that seem too big? I can drop the clearance down, but this will be under a covered patio and I'd hate for a fire to start during a low and slow or a hot burn for a pizza or steak sear. Only part close to the egg will be the wood table top (21.5" hole) and ceramic tiles on 2x4s under the nest.

I don't have to worry about gates or anything to fit through. This will be built in the garage, pushed to the back yard on casters and be GTG.
Aledo, Texas
Large BGE
KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

Comments

• FBGirl79
    FBGirl79 Posts: 9
    Options
    Doesn't seem too big. Sounds about right. We have an XL and are going with 34" X 72". By the time the egg is in there we had to add an extra foot just for some decent work space and a couple extra inches in the depth just for clearance. I doubt you will regret having the extra space unless you don't have a lot of space for it in the backyard.

XL BGE Cincinnati, OH

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    i just build one that was 7 feet by 2.5 feet, for my large, its a bit bulky but there's enough room for a work station and all the eggssories  so m not complaining

HFX NS
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    "That gives 1.5" of clearance between the egg and the 2x4 frame. Does that seem too big?" No - the more distance between the egg and any wood the safer it will be. 

"Only part close to the egg will be the wood table top (21.5" hole) and ceramic tiles on 2x4s under the nest."  You will be using a Table Nest of course. Of course you will !!!!!   Make sure you do !!  Also consider using fire bricks instead of ceramic tiles, or at least pavers. Fire safety is important. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I like a big table. I think you will be fine. Please post pics of the completed project. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I said ceramic tiles. I meant porcelain tiles. And I will be using the table nest as well. I did a quick weight test on one and it will hold up my fat a.. so it should hold the egg. Planning only a 2x4 frame under and a drawer under that so it will have a little breathing room. Where the egg sits will be open in the front and one side.
    These tiles were extras from the kitchen remodel. Figured it would look good matching the kitchen with the same stain as the cabinets, same tile under the egg, and same granite (for part of the table top). If there'sa big concern about the heat on these tiles, I  could change them out. Don't really like the look of bricks or pavers.
    The area the table is going in is a pretty big space so there's not really a lack of room. I might wheel it out from under the patio to between the pergola pillars so I should probably measure that to see if it fits.
    I'll definitely post up some pics of the build and the completed table.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Looks or safety. Choice is yours. Thermal properties of fire bricks and kitchen tiles are quite different. The air gap from a Table Nest is the best safety measure below the egg. The choice of nonflammable material below that will add to the safety in differing amounts.

You might want to consider using fire bricks with the tile on top of them for looks. Since you are still designing your table you have the ability to account for depth.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• MediumRarely
    MediumRarely Posts: 270
    Options
    My last table (outdoor kitchen using plastic lumber, HDPE, and Corian countertop) was for my LBGE in MD.  I went with two SS angles bolted thru supports (left and right of the Egg, along with two SS channels flipped upside down resting on the angles with the Egg resting on the channels.  Nothing but SS and air anywhere near the Egg except the Corian - 1/2 inch air gap all the way around.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• MediumRarely
    Options
    Here's a pic - lacks a lot of detail, but may help.

• Toxarch
    Options
    Well, I had also thought about using angle or square tube steel (or aluminum) for the support under the tile. Should solve any heat issue under the tile. Bricks under the tile is a maybe, I plan to have a drawer under the egg for the PS and cap. Should be easy to weld up a steel frame to support the egg.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• MediumRarely
    Options
    Sounds nice & SAFE.  Many ways to the finish line.  Have fun.

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited June 2015
    Options
    63"? Pfffft. I started with the Naked Whiz plans as a model and built mine to 94". See my build thread here.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Toxarch
    Options
    94" is a monster of a table. My concern was more depth than width. I'm fine with the width. Actually, I wouldn't mind a little wider, but this is an easier build size for the granite I have and it's an easy size to move around.
    Here's a picture of the granite piece. This was removed when they cut out the stove in the island. The blue tape marks where the front and side of the table will be and the lip overhang. The tape in the middle is nothing.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Im just going to say that in relation to elbow room MO ROOM is always better. If it were me I would use the whole thing. But then again my table is an L shape that is 6 ft by 6 ft. by 32". 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Toxarch
    Options
    Very true. But, if I don't make it too big, then I could always add on to the other side of the table later and put in say, an XL and make it one big table with two eggs.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Toxarch
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Now that I got the frame built, It looks a little small. But it's about the right size for a grilling workspace. I'll put up pics this evening or tomorrow.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.