Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Report on doing individual ribs

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
My experiment yesterday went pretty well. I cut 9 1 rib sections from a slab of BBs. The smallest four I cut in 2 rib sections.
I grabbed a bunch of rubs. DD on 2. DP "curryish" on 2. DP pineapplehead on 1. 2 w. Garam Masala and some salt. 2 with japanese  Shichimi Togarashi, w. a little lemon juice poured on. The 2 sections, one I used just salt pepper and a bit of sugar, the other DD.

Standard set up. Dome around 250F, raised, indirect, w. a handful of apple wood chips.

First pic, 2 hours in after I flipped the single sections.

The "2 sections" took about 5 hours, but I found the meatier parts of the single ribs at 195-205 at about 4.5 hours. So the single cuts did get done faster, but not as quick as I thought they might.

A shot from when I brought those in:

I did put a few pats of butter on them towards the end, because they were looking a little dry. For most of what I ate, there were some nice crispy crunchy edges, but a few spots that were borderline charred. My wife didn't notice that.

As far as flavor went, the most outstanding was the Curry-ish. The togarashi was disappointing, altho that may have been because I used it sparingly. The chili heat was there, but most of the citrus flavor was gone, and the sesame contributed nothing.

The inside were nice and succulent.

I had some sauces on the side. The most interesting was some Ssam sauce I ordered from Momofuku. Its their take on Korean BBQ sauce that they have amped up w. fermented grains. Its odd stuff. Hot, sweet, vaguely soy-sh. If cooked much, most of the ferment flavors disappear, leaving the pepper heat, so I just use it for dipping or drizzling. I put it on the Curry-ish pieces, and liked it a lot, tho' I have to admit many would probably find the taste peculiar. The sauce is available online now, not too expensive. Some of you might like a taste of it.

A final shot of some bones (!?)

As you can see, the meat came away pretty cleanly. Not perfect, but passable. If I try this again I will probably add a little bit of melted butter baste to keep the outside from charring. Maybe increase the sesame in the togarashi, and soak the pieces in lemon juice before, as the traces of citrus flavor that remained were pleasant.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Wow, great write up!  Thanks. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I had always wondered this, so thank you for doing it and reporting the results!. Most appreciated!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Looks really great, thanks for sharing!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thank you.... I have often thought of trying buy never did. Now no need as you pulled it off nicely..
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Glad you all liked the post. The leftovers are a little better than average. I think it is potentially a nice way to give guests a range of flavor choices.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Really cool- thanks for the write up.  They look great.  I will definitely be trying these. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Looks great, and good write up.  Gives me another option when the kids have company over and have multiple flavor requests.  Appreciate it. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Very cool, thank you.  Never would've thought of that.  Provides great options!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga