Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking a wild pig

Options
doubleagle
doubleagle Posts: 6
I have been drafted to cook a wild pig approx 30 lbs.The pig has been skinned and gutted with head removed. There appears to be minimal fat on this piggie.I was planning on cooking at approx 250 with indirect adding sausage to the cavity. Have never cooked one before.Please any advise will be more than welcome. I have a large egg not even sure piggie will fit

Comments

• IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Wow, sounds like a great project! I have done whole pigs before but never on the egg. I have a Caja China roasting box. I would suggest cooking indirect at a higher temp (maybe 400?) with some wood added in for smoke flavor. You may want to also inject with a brine (apple juice, hot sauce, apple cider vinegar, salt, etc.) for added flavor especially if it is on the leaner side. Apply a generous amount of rub and I would brush on a glaze/basting sauce (vinegar, honey, hot sauce, apple juice) as you go so you can get the crispy skin (higher heat will help too). 

Please post pics though would love to see how it turns out!!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Another La Caja China user here. Done lots of whole hogs on it, but never on the egg. There was a team at the Toronto eggfest that did a small suckling pig on their XL, and it seemed to turn out good. I'm a huge advocate of the La Caja China though!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    @bweekes Caja China is a beautiful thing, my friend..was definitely my favorite cooking toy but the egg is rivaling it for sure!

Have you ever done anything other than pigs in your roasting box?
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've always wondered when it comes to wild hogs, are they susceptible to the parasites and worms that were once prevalent in domestic hogs?
    I know that even today when pig is slaughtered for food in Alabama it has to be inspected and tested by the USDA for parasites and worms. My family's business deals with a local butcher that makes our pork sausage for reselling. We have to purchase the whole pig and then it is processed into sausage for us. The pig has to be thoroughly tested and inspected after slaughter before it can be processed into the sausage. 

Do you get a wild hog tested? or do you just cook it to a high enough temperature to make it safe?   
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    IPASooner said:
    @bweekes Caja China is a beautiful thing, my friend..was definitely my favorite cooking toy but the egg is rivaling it for sure!

Have you ever done anything other than pigs in your roasting box?
    It is a cool spectacle for sure! I've done a wild boar butt and leg (the thing must have weighed 80lbs!). Also tried turkeys on it. The egg is versatile, where the la caja china is a one-trick pony really. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)