Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIY Wooden Table: Router or Jigsaw for Hole?

Options
Just about finished with my first table for a medium egg minus the hole and wood stain. My dilemma right now is that I don't have a jigsaw OR a router. I have heard that router is way more accurate but sadly neither Home Depot or Lowe's rent those, but they do rent Jigsaw's. I don't want to rush the project but it has occupied my entire garage for the past week so do want to finished it soon so I can start parking in there again!

What is everyone's experience with cutting the hole as well as staining the wood? Did y'all sand before staining? How long does it typically take to dry? Did you use a router or jig? Just looking for some insight so I can have this baby ready to go for the weekend! Here is a pic of the table from when I was working on it last week. It's pretty much finished now with the wheels and everything on. Just need to stain and cut a hole.

Charlotte, NC

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Jigsaw will work, bit might wind up a bit ratty if you don't go slow.  Router, depending on thickness of the top, might take several passes to get thru the thickness of the material. 

If it were up to me, I'd go router.  Build a little circle cutting rig out of 1/4 ply (use the google) and go about 1/4 inch deep with each pass.

This way sanding will be much easier and you can round the edges a little as well. 

surely you know someone that has a router sitting unopened in a box sitting in their garage.....  If not, look for a cheapo one at Harbor Freight or Big Lots....

Stain - go a couple of coats with a light sanding in between each coating.  Spar poly for the top, again a couple of coats......

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Biff_Tannen
    Options
    Jigsaw will work, bit might wind up a bit ratty if you don't go slow.  Router, depending on thickness of the top, might take several passes to get thru the thickness of the material. 

If it were up to me, I'd go router.  Build a little circle cutting rig out of 1/4 ply (use the google) and go about 1/4 inch deep with each pass.

This way sanding will be much easier and you can round the edges a little as well. 

surely you know someone that has a router sitting unopened in a box sitting in their garage.....  If not, look for a cheapo one at Harbor Freight or Big Lots....

Stain - go a couple of coats with a light sanding in between each coating.  Spar poly for the top, again a couple of coats......
    Thanks. Do you know how long it typically take a single coat to dry? Gonna do my best to find a router and do it that way. If I can't find one I'll just sack up and get a cheapo. 
    Charlotte, NC
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Stain - maybe 45 minutes to an hour.  By the time you finish coating the table, itll be time to start again....  As far as the poly goes, follow the label like your life depended on it!!!

I have refinished my handle since my egg is outside in direct sunlight all day long and it was getting rough....  Sanded, stained with 3 coats, than I used the Spar shaker can since it was going to be a small job.  Handle feels like glass now!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I used a jigsaw. Not sure how you'd make circular jig out of plywood... with a router or a jigsaw?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here is a circle made with a jigsaw definitely not perfect but once I was done I used a round over bit and sanded I agree with @daverichardson use a router if u want an exact circl

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    @texanofthenorth...  That's why I recommended he use google....  

https://youtu.be/UzRYd77-mnM
    https://youtu.be/q0plsAARgMA 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,185
    Options
    Go to a pawn shop and picked up a used router. Or check CL. Or buy a cheapie at Harbor Freight. You will not be happy with a jigsaw cut hole. Do it once, do it right. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The girl makes it look so easy!  =)

I'm guessing Biff doesn't have the table saw and drill press though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Here is a circle made with a jigsaw definitely not perfect but once I was done I used a round over bit and sanded I agree with @daverichardson use a router if u want an exact circl
    That looks pretty solid. Was is hard to stay steady with the jig? My boards have a little bit of space between them so I hope that wouldn't be an issue. 
    Charlotte, NC
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I have done 3 with a Jigsaw, they all turned out good, just stay on your line, small amount of sanding needed after.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Biff_Tannen its very easy to do with a jigsaw if you've used one in the past and understand how to maneuver it as you go ... Make sure you draw a very dark line as the Line will be hard to see as you go (shadows, saw dust , where you have to stand ) all play a roll in seeing the line ... Make sure you use a brand new cut / rip Blade for wood ... I know some here will say use a fine tooth for finish but you are cutting 3/4 or 1" pressure treated materials use the cut / rip blade ... If you can either have some one fan the saw dust away as you cut or use a box fan to clear your cut path & line ... You said your boards have a space in-between them be carful here and slow down from the transition to the next piece most likely they won't be on plane with each other so you may have to lift the jigsaw blade up slightly or lower it to get to the next piece ... Another thing make sure the jig saw base is flat and at 0 deg. And always make sure the jigsaw base is flat to the surface  ... You'll be fine :) just don't be in a hurry 

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• Biff_Tannen
    Options
    @Biff_Tannen its very easy to do with a jigsaw if you've used one in the past and understand how to maneuver it as you go ... Make sure you draw a very dark line as the Line will be hard to see as you go (shadows, saw dust , where you have to stand ) all play a roll in seeing the line ... Make sure you use a brand new cut / rip Blade for wood ... I know some here will say use a fine tooth for finish but you are cutting 3/4 or 1" pressure treated materials use the cut / rip blade ... If you can either have some one fan the saw dust away as you cut or use a box fan to clear your cut path & line ... You said your boards have a space in-between them be carful here and slow down from the transition to the next piece most likely they won't be on plane with each other so you may have to lift the jigsaw blade up slightly or lower it to get to the next piece ... Another thing make sure the jig saw base is flat and at 0 deg. And always make sure the jigsaw base is flat to the surface  ... You'll be fine :) just don't be in a hurry 
    Right on. Thanks for the advice man. Gonna rent one today on my way home from work and get this thing rolling slowly and carefully. Once the hole is cut then I'm gonna add a couple coats of stain and should be good to go by the weekend. Will post follow up pics of the finished product. Now I just have to decide what the first cook is going to be on the new table....... :o
    Charlotte, NC
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    You can mount a ligsaw to a circle cutting jig. Some jigsaws already have attachment points for such a gizmo. Similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Festool-490118-Circle-Attachment-Jigsaws/dp/B000LKQOZE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434393757&sr=8-2&keywords=jigsaw+circle+jig

You can also mount a jigsaw right to a piece of plywood that can be used as a circle cutting guide like this: http://www.wwgoa.com/content/uploads/2015/01/circle-template.jpg
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk