Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg, new table!

Options
This is my new XL BGE sitting in the table that I had built by woodbydana.com. The table is super solid and looks great as well!

Comments

• JGoodson
    JGoodson Posts: 55
    Options
    Nice set up. Enjoy!
    McDonough,Ga   Large & Small BGE  Dawgs, Falcons and Bravos!
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Looks great. Perfect rise on the egg, and gotta love the bottle opener!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome!  Beautiful table. I see the stones for heat absorption but, cannot see what's below the stone...only suggestion, if I may, would be a nest for fire safety reasons. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jfletch74
    Jfletch74 Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't think that the stones get hot enough to warrant a nest. And plus the rise is just perfect and I wouldn't want to mess with that!
  • ilwaldens
    ilwaldens Posts: 27
    Options
    I had my table built by Dana as well.  It was for a large and I got the deluxe unit.  My husband and I had a great time traveling to Georgia to pick it up (we live in Illinois.  Your table and egg look great!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Very nice! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Nice, Welcome aboard.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'll say this. Had a paver under my large less than 3 months and the wood underneath was charred. Get a table nest, damn the height. 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!  Post some cooks when you get a chance.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    Options
    Really great looking table!
  • Jfletch74
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Welcome. Nice table!
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Nice table!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You won't have to worry about the height after your house burns down.  I had mine on a paver with an air gap.  Paver cracked at some point, allowing sufficient heat to radiate to the framing to start the table on fire. You have the crack prebuilt into yours by using  3 stones.

One year ago this week.  i had shut everything down at 10:30 Am, 15 hours later I was standing in the street in my boxers watching my house burn.  Total loss.

it wasn't so fun that I'd recommend going through it because you don't want to lift your egg a couple inches.

You  might get away with it if you stay low and slow, never do a clean burn, don't reverse sear, stay away from pizzas...but if you keep that set up make sure your kids know how to get out of the house in the event of a fire.  When the hallway from your bedroom to the front door is burning **** gets real. 

Sorry to be Donnie Downer, but you need to fix this pronto.

hope you have many years of enjoyment. 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
  • Jfletch74
    Options
    You won't have to worry about the height after your house burns down.  I had mine on a paver with an air gap.  Paver cracked at some point, allowing sufficient heat to radiate to the framing to start the table on fire. You have the crack prebuilt into yours by using  3 stones.

One year ago this week.  i had shut everything down at 10:30 Am, 15 hours later I was standing in the street in my boxers watching my house burn.  Total loss.

it wasn't so fun that I'd recommend going through it because you don't want to lift your egg a couple inches.

You  might get away with it if you stay low and slow, never do a clean burn, don't reverse sear, stay away from pizzas...but if you keep that set up make sure your kids know how to get out of the house in the event of a fire.  When the hallway from your bedroom to the front door is burning **** gets real. 

Sorry to be Donnie Downer, but you need to fix this pronto.

hope you have many years of enjoyment. 
    After listening to several suggestions to add a table nest, I am definitely going to heed this advice and purchase one. After all I am very new to this. Thanks for the tips!
  • MediumRarely
    MediumRarely Posts: 270
    Options

I am not a lawyer, but Dana needs to get his act together.  Anyone who is in business providing products that are not safe has at least two major issues.  First is obviously product liability.  The second (and most important - to me anyway) is living with yourself should anything happen that money can't fix!

If Dana is on this forum (as well as others providing tables, etc.) please take note.  If not, then someone should provide him/them with a bit advice/feedback.

Note:  BGE does a pretty good job at protecting themselves (and eggheads) in this particular area with their notice online.

Just a thought.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options

I am not a lawyer, but Dana needs to get his act together.  Anyone who is in business providing products that are not safe has at least two major issues.  First is obviously product liability.  The second (and most important - to me anyway) is living with yourself should anything happen that money can't fix!

If Dana is on this forum (as well as others providing tables, etc.) please take note.  If not, then someone should provide him/them with a bit advice/feedback.

Note:  BGE does a pretty good job at protecting themselves (and eggheads) in this particular area with their notice online.

Just a thought.

Does BGE HQ really do a pretty good job at protecting themselves? Is Dana really at fault here?

Right from the horses mouth:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/BGE-TP-LARGE.pdf

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• MediumRarely
    MediumRarely Posts: 270
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Just a thought.

Does BGE HQ really do a pretty good job at protecting themselves? Is Dana really at fault here?

Right from the horses mouth:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/BGE-TP-LARGE.pdf

Hmmm.  I may have to re-position myself regarding BGE HQ.  If I were them, consideration should be given to "requiring" the use of the nest (or other air gap device) for tables, etc., as well as some sort of warning/disclaimer. 

Dana (and others), however, would have liability if a product caused harm while being used under "normal" conditions.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• woodbydana
    Options

Just a thought.

Well, I just thought for the heck of it I would come to this website and do a search on "Wood by Dana" to see what comes up.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised...  There's a know-it-all in every crowd... 

First of all, I build tables with a concrete insulator/spacer that is under the Big Green Egg.  I do not tell my customers not to use the ceramic feet or the table nest.  I don't know how you concluded that I do.  And then you basically accuse me of being stupid.  I expect people will use their grill as directed by the manufacturer.  I don't have any problem with my personal table getting hot, but I have never told a customer not to use an air gap. 

I do carry a One Million Dollar business liability policy, but I don't think I'll be needing it because someone doesn't set up their grill properly.  I am not the grill police.  I sell the table and the customer is responsible for using it properly.  I do not go to their home and make sure they set it up and use it safely or properly.  I take it that is what "normal conditions" is, safe and proper use? 

I feel for the guy who lost his house because his BGE table caught on fire.  It wasn't one of my tables.  I wouldn't advocate for using a grill with a fire in it close enough to your house so that if something went wrong it would likely burn your house down.  I think the negligence is on the individual who left a hot fire unattended for hours too close to his home.  So this should be a lesson to all readers.  Grill in the yard, keep a close eye on your grill until it's not hot anymore or be willing to accept the outcome.

In conclusion, I guess you really aren't a lawyer.  And maybe you need to get your act together.  I don't appreciate your accusations or your know-it-all attitude.

Dana
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options

A little looking around at flooring stores and you can find a large (as big as 24x24") ceramic or porcelain floor tile. One of those under a table nest and a wood table would be well protected.

In my humble opinion, your mileage may vary, enter at your own risk, look left, then right, then left again, past results are no indication of future returns, objects in mirror are closer than they appear...

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    We have a user that claims his house burned down even with a paver under egg, Spaightlabs. I may put a temp probe under the egg and see what kind of readings I get over a long cook. My Fluke will give max temp reached number as well as graph over time. Can't burn my table anyway but still curious.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Tspud1 It gets hot as Hades!  Especially after a long Za session. The MM does as well. The little legs on the carrier barely give an air gap and after searing or zas is effing super hot. I'm sure other MM owners have noticed this also. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    We have a user that claims his house burned down even with a paver under egg, Spaightlabs. I may put a temp probe under the egg and see what kind of readings I get over a long cook. My Fluke will give max temp reached number as well as graph over time. Can't burn my table anyway but still curious.

I don't 'claim'...it's a fact.  There are pictures on this site of my setup from before the fire.

I had a paver and an air gap.  Forensic engineers examined everything post fire.  No crack in the base of the egg.  Cracked paver underneath the egg.

I suspect that my use an aftermarket grate may have played a role - that grate seemed to allow a good amount of lump through to sit on the bottom of the vessel and to continue to burn, and I'd think that would contribute to much higher temperatures at the bottom of the egg.

I'd be interested in your findings.  Friend of ours had the exact same build on his table.  Talked to him after our fire, he checked underneath his table, no crack inches paver, but had some light charring of the wood framing members...

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Spaightlabs ^^^ meaning the use of a different fire grate allows the bottom of the base to become hotter than the factory fire grate?  Ya I can see that. Even with the lift on my MM using the KAB I can physically feel the radiant heat. I may do one cook with the factory grate and one with the KAB going at the same temp to compare. Interesting theory and quite plausible. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    @Jfletch74, Welcome and looking forward to seeing that XL lit up and some good cook pics.  This is what happens here sometimes
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @logchief Yes the discussion strayed from the OP topic however, if that keeps even one person from burning their home down or worse yet lives lost...I'd say going OT was well worth it. An ounce of prevention...
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • logchief
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL, I'm in full agreement about fire safety aspects, was just commenting how threads move on.  I'm about to build a table this winter and appreciate the info, I'll take into consideration.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @logchief What material are you using? Wood or Metal?  The fact is a LOT of dealers still simply showcase an egg in a table atop a stone with no table nest, no air gap etc. Why?  My guess is they don't know any better and pass this lack of knowledge on to the consumer.  My dealer has their display models with a nest and stone now (some with nest only).  I'd always recommend this to future BGE owners when I was doing demos. The forum gives new owners invaluable info...Sometimes. :smiley:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • logchief
    Options
    I'm doing wood with a nest, stone and an air gap, especially after this thread.  Thanks for the advice