Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised direct/indirect question

What are the benefits/reasons for raising the grid? I see this mentioned a lot and just wondering what the benefits are. 

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Raise the food from the radiant heat but still cook directly over the fire. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    It helps to protect the food from flair ups as well. It's fantastic for things like sausages that benefit greatly for cooking over the direct heat, but are fragile. Also, raising things higher into the dome exposes food to the radiant heat coming off of the ceramics in the dome, which helps to do things like crisp the skin on a chicken. 
  • TDogg46
    TDogg46 Posts: 56
    So it gets it away from or closer to radiant heat?
  • ChillyWillis
    edited June 2015
    It pulls the food away from the radiant heat coming off of the charcoal, but also brings the food closer to the ceramics which let off a second source of radiant heat which helps to cook the top of the food..... if that makes sense. 

Radient heat off the dome is great for things like melting cheese while finishing off burgers , or cooking the toppings on pizza during an indirect pizza cook. 
  • TDogg46
    Ok..so what meats/foods typically need to be raised?  And how do you know to go direct or indirect?
  • stemc33
    It'll get closer to the radiant heat reflecting from the dome but further away from the radiant heat from the fire. It's easier to cook raised without burning it waiting for the inside of the food to cook. Hold your hand over the fire at standard grid height then hold it over the fire at felt line. It gives an additional option on cooking/grilling. Raised is much more forgiving from burning food. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ChillyWillis
    edited June 2015
    Really it's all about feel. Experiment with it. 1/2 of this forum would tell you to do a spatchcock raised direct at around 375, the other 1/2 would tell you to go indirect at around 425. Both produce fantastic birds, it's just really about what you prefer. 

If you cook something direct, and it comes out with a bit too much char on it, maybe try raised direct next time, if there is still too much char, go indirect (if I'm taking a recipe from direct to indirect I'll usually cook about 25-50 degrees higher temp). As long as you are cooking to your desired internal temperature you'll put out good food regardless. 
  • TDogg46
    Thanks guys...I swear this is the last question...does raised = at the felt line? Or even higher?  
  • stemc33
    Both. Most raise to at least the felt line. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Raising to at least the felt line also makes using spatulas and other utensils much easier. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ChillyWillis
    Raised is anything that raises the cooking grid up off of the fire ring. There are rigs like the AR I have in my BGE that will let you raise the grid below, at, and above the felt line. Same with using fire bricks to raise the grid. If you lay them length wise you get one hight, if you lay them width wise you get another. 
  • TDogg46
    Thanks guys...sorry for all the questions!
  • ChillyWillis
    No worries. That's what this place is for!!!
  • stemc33
    TDogg46 said:
    Thanks guys...sorry for all the questions!
    That's what this community is all about.  I've learned tons about everything outdoor cooking from the forum. Just be careful about posting questions on late weekend nights. Lol. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming