Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Fake Steak" AKA steaks created with Meat Glue

Options
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEqMeWIVcA#t=3m35s

I found this very interesting and wonder how common it is. 

XL,L,S 
Winston-Salem, NC 

Comments

• chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    Makes you wonder if you've been a 'victim' of meat deceit.  Crazy. 
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've heard of this. But never seen someone go through the process. I know I have eaten fake steak now that I see this. I remember see a weird steak that had pockets in it. It was a fundraiser for my church. I wonder how much money they paid the crew that cooked them.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Looks interesting but I doubt its very common, well, at least where I eat steak.  I never eat steak out at chain steak houses like outback or logans.  I think it would be too much labor for the reward.  Why not just make burger out of the scraps.  

Pretty good result he got though. 

XLBGE 
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    I know Walmart at least used to do this when I first heard of meat glue some years ago. They might have stopped this practice as this was before the pink slime fiasco hit news headlines but I remember walking over to the ribeyes, picking up a package and when looking right at it, immediately saw the "fuse" line.
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle
    Weber Spirit E-310 Propane Gasser
    The Webers make for nice Eggcessory storage bins!

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Looks interesting but I doubt its very common, well, at least where I eat steak.  I never eat steak out at chain steak houses like outback or logans.  I think it would be too much labor for the reward.  Why not just make burger out of the scraps.  

Honestly, depending on the cut of steak you're ordering I would be just as worried or maybe even slightly more worried about it at some of the more expensive steak houses too.  They would be just as likely to do something like this to keep profit margins up and use the scraps they get from processing their own steaks.  I would think most of the steaks from Logans and Outback are preportioned and just get thrown on the grill to cook, still could be Frankensteaks but the individual restaurants shouldn't be dealing with scraps.  
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There was a similar vid mentioned several times over the past few years. As it turns out, if you've eaten hot dogs w/o casing, or imitation "crab," you've had meat glue. There are 2 different things called "meat glue," thrombin and transglutaminase. Thrombin, which causes blood clotting, has been banned in the EU. Transglutaminase is what is now commonly used, and it is derived from bacteria.

In the US, a product made w. transglutaminase, must be labeled "formed," and include the enzyme in the ingredient list. I've read that the EU does not consider it an ingredient. It is certainly unethical to form less costly meats into something resembling a steak, and passing it off as a more expensive cut. According to USDA rules, it would have to be cooked to medium well done.

• EggPerfection
    Options
    I'm shocked at how well that worked.  I'm not in a hurry to get some for myself but it sure seems less gross now.
    Best - Jack
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

This is my take as well. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC