Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - WSM

Options
2»

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2015
    Options

Maybe you can find a Big Steel Keg on Craigslist?  I just sold mine last week on Craigslist.  Hooks into a car/truck hitch for portability and works just as good if not better than BGE for retaining heat.  Not cheap new but maybe you can score one on Craigslist 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    The WSM is a great cooker, I still have mine and will never get rid of it.  I don't use it so much now because the biggest drawback to it was temp control since it isn't insulated like the Egg.  This is solved by using a DigiQ or Stoker style system, you just have to be ready to refuel the thing or at least that was my experience.  The main reason I still have it is because you can get more on it than the EGG without modification, at least you can on the 22.5" model that I bought.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with it at all.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    My first smoker in 2011 was a 22.5 WSM that my neighbor is currently using.  I use it to help when I have a large cook to do and I can't get everything on the egg.  I have made great brisket and ribs on mine and my neighbor just did his second on it this weekend that was great too.  It's easy to transport and holds heat well if it is not real cold out.  When I put mine together I added little angle brackets on the fire box so I could use it as large Smokey Joe grill to cook steaks and other things direct.  The only thing I miss about my gas grill is not being able to use my rotisserie that I have, but I believe there is an adapter for the WSM for $150.  They also make a smaller 14" version too.  To me it's easier to transport then the drum smoker.  I am thinking of doing a large cook soon and will probably do so ribs and baked beans on it.  It will cook a lot of food. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    The WSM is a phenomenal smoker. I would also consider the Pit Barrel Smoker. You can do a lot of really cool things on the PBC
    I've had an 18" WSM for about 8 years now. Love it.

A couple of months ago I watched the PBC video on how they do ribs and decided to give that method a shot on my WSM.

Weber makes a rack for hanging stuff and I made some hooks and now hang my baby backs in the WSM right over the colas PBC style. Been getting good results and I think that is how I will be cooking my baby backs from now on.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options

jimithing said:
    I have a 22.5 WSM and I've had multiple 18.5 WSM's. The 22.5 does use more fuel than the 18.5 simply because it's bigger.  But I went from a couple of 18.5's to a 22.5 so I could fit whole packer briskets on there.  You have to bend or trim the brisket to get a whole one on an 18.5.

In the middle of winter on a cold night you will probably reload before you finish a brisket or pork butt.  They're just not as resistant to elements as an egg.  But in the middle of the summer you can get 18+ hours on a full load of charcoal.
    Wrapping a welders blanket around a WSM really help in cold windy weather.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Has anyone done this to there WSM yet?  If so did it help a lot or not?
    http://www.amazon.com/Gasket-Weber-Smokey-Mountain-gasket/dp/B00CI6WFCU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Gasket-Weber-Smokey-Mountain-gasket/dp/B00CI6WFCU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Did that to my 18.5". I'm sure it helped somewhat. But wasn't a big difference in terms of heat retention to be honest - at least I couldn't notice much of a difference. I suspect more heat is lost due to metal not being a great insulator moreso than due to a loose seal around the various openings. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    There are a bunch of "jackets" out there designed for the WSM that I've heard work well, though I never owned one of those so can't speak from experience. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • HeavyG
    Options

• shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    Options
    Thanks to all for all of your input. I really appreciate it...I will let you know what I do
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • HeavyG
    Options

bweekes said:

Did that to my 18.5". I'm sure it helped somewhat. But wasn't a big difference in terms of heat retention to be honest - at least I couldn't notice much of a difference. I suspect more heat is lost due to metal not being a great insulator moreso than due to a loose seal around the various openings. 
    I think the main point of the gaskets is that it should help to prevent air from getting into the WSM  and not to retain heat.

Part of the problem in controlling temps with a WSM is that even with all the bottom vents closed you'll still be sucking in air thru the door and the seams of the different sections. The seams aren't so much a problem once they accumulate some gunk but the door is the main culprit. Weber's stock doors don't fit very tightly so you can try to bend them a bit or gasket or foil them or buy a new door. Cajun Bandits makes a very tightly fitting stainless steel door that many folks use.

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    I'm enjoying the Egg, but still use the WSM occasionally, it's a great unit, although I hate cleaning it after cooks., it does turn out great BBQ. I use the Minion method for long cooks and never have had to add coal, & I cook with it year round.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I love my WSM's.  I got a 18" as my first smoker before I got my first egg.  When I got the egg, I gave the WSM to a friend, he still uses it every thanksgiving to smoke turkeys, which it does fantastically.  Over time I realized the error of my ways and purcahsed a used 18.5, 22.5, and a few 14.5's (dont love the baby WSMs as much as I thought I would).  I use the 22" for my big cooks, I dont use it unless I am doing like 6-8 pork butts or something crazy like that.  I say this because it sounds like the 18.5 is probably better suited for you.

I love the WSM, it is a great cooker.  The food is really really good, and it is a set it and forget it cooker. I dont use water in the pan (foil it, and cleanup is easy), I use the minion method, and I leave one bottom vent wide open, and the top vent open during the whole cook.  I let the WSM decide what temp that is, but its usually between 250-300 and always perfect.  If I can think of a drawback, it is temp struggles in the dead of winter when it gets below 20.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Thanks to all for all of your input. I really appreciate it...I will let you know what I do
    Get both.   =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• shadowcaster
    Options
    Decided the 22" was the way to go for me. Pick it up today and will be taking it North with me this coming weekend. Of course I had to try it out so I messed around with it and loaded it up. It really is holding temp really well, I am impressed. Doing a chicken and some wings now. Thanks to everyone who helped me out with my decision! If you like in Michigan and are in the Caseville area ever hit me up and I will feed you! Haha
    Pure Michigan
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Aaaccckk! That picture startled me. First glance I thought you were grilling a hand with detached fingers.

• shadowcaster
    Options
    @HeavyG I just about spit out me beer reading that comment!
    Pure Michigan