Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Lump - Ranch T

Options
I went to my dealer to pick up some Wicked Good Charcoal only to find out that they were out and would not have any for a couple of weeks.  In it's place, they gave me a new brand, Ranch T.  I have to say, pretty solid.  Dense with big chunks.  While I only added a little on top of some Wicked Good in my egg, I was pleased.  It was pretty easy to light, burned clean pretty quick and no bad smell.

Has anyone else used this lump?  I would be interested in hearing your opinion, being I only added to my existing lump.

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• air1keh
    air1keh Posts: 18
    Options
    I have used it and for basically the same reasons that you did - the dealer was out of Wicked Good. 

I like it very much and I think that it did as well as the Rockwood that I ordered ans was using. The lumps were a nice size, not a lot of small pieces and dust. It lit easily and it didn't do a lot of smoking. Settled down fairly quickly and I had a nice burn going with very little smoke in a reasonable amount of time. There were no weird flavors that I detected in the finished products. Everything tasted really good. 

I used it on a brisket - long and slow - as well as for a steak where I took it up to about 600 degrees. Performed well for both. I don't have anything bad to say about it and I would buy it again.  

If you are interested in a review of it, the link for it is below.

http://www.grillinsmokin.net/blog_main/blog_2015/files/theres_a_new_charcoal_in_town.php
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    What state did you pick it up in and can I ask how much you paid for it?  Thanks 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    NJ.  My dealer charged me the same they do for Wicked Good.  $18.99
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Thanks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Huh, I wonder if Tarantin is getting it sourced from the same area Wicked Good does/did. I also wonder if there is going to be any issues with the name(Weekend Warrior Blend) since that seems directly cribbed from WGC to "sell the similarity" between them.