Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Ribs to Date...

Options
2»

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks those ribs are not done yet from the pics? Those are huge racks (not As big as Craig's) and there is no way they finished in 5 hours at 220. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Wow!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Lit said:
    Am I the only one that thinks those ribs are not done yet from the pics? Those are huge racks (not As big as Craig's) and there is no way they finished in 5 hours at 220. 
    They are baby backs, they normally take me around 5 hours too, what looks undone to you? I guess you're looking for a bite and pull pic? That would be the ultimate proof of doneness pic I guess.
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    They are baby backs, they normally take me around 5 hours too, what looks undone to you? I guess you're looking for a bite and pull pic? That would be the ultimate proof of doneness pic I guess.
    I agree 5 hours at 250 is usually about right. As an experienced cook I am sure you know ribs finish around 200 IT so dropping from 250 to 220 and cooking so close to the target temp really increases cooking time. Plus those are really big racks. Just looking at the sliced pic to me says they are not done yet. 
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    I agree 5 hours at 250 is usually about right. As an experienced cook I am sure you know ribs finish around 200 IT so dropping from 250 to 220 and cooking so close to the target temp really increases cooking time. Plus those are really big racks. Just looking at the sliced pic to me says they are not done yet. 
    I see what you are saying, but one thing I have noticed when I do them is that doneness is normally achieved by the end of the foil phase due to braising and not just passing heat. In the final hour I baste  3 x with sauce and by doing so it actually cools the ribs down a bit so there is no real "cooking" done in the 5th hour of my cook. I think Craig said he did not sauce them so maybe after braising they continued to climb in temp? Either way I would say the 2 hours of braising tends to knock em out for me. and I do set my ribs to close to 250 but that is my dome temp, and I'm guessing my grate temp is about 230? I never use grate temp cause I always get a different temp compared to dome, it's like my grate is out to get me lol
  • Lit
    Options
    The sliced ribs look more like pork loin texture than rib texture. Impossible to tell either way without a bite pic and it really doesn't matter either way as long as they were enjoyed. Just something I noticed in the pics.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Lit said:
    The sliced ribs look more like pork loin texture than rib texture. Impossible to tell either way without a bite pic and it really doesn't matter either way as long as they were enjoyed. Just something I noticed in the pics.
    After this conversation a I want to do is eat ribs lol
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    edited June 2015
    Options

This post made me purchase some Meat Church products and I am going to follow BGC's example today.  I went to go show my SU this thread and when I couldn't find it right away, he said "it doesn't matter, you cook em and I will eat em!" :)

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Seeing those ribs have left me feeling inadequate. I need to seriously up my rib game.
    I have made what I thought were good ribs, however yours put me to shame. 
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    edited June 2015
    Options

So I have made these now twice since this original post. (Again thank you Craig, this made my rib making life a lot easier).  First, I would like to say LOVE the Meat Church products.  We used some on chops the other night too, and with their sugar content they made the outside of the meat char up just enough to look like heaven.  Second these were extremely easy, seemed to take less time that some of my other former methods, and the "cutability" (need to add that the the BGE Eggictionary) was really nice. 

Oh.  And did I mention they were Yummay???   The first batch I made with actually real butter (I didn't have any of the Parkay at the time) and the second batch I made as shown.  Frankly, I preferred the real stuff, but that may just be me. 

Regardless.  I give this method 2 thumbs up.  Just don't let me touch anything with them because they are sticky!