Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo ribs

Options
SteveinTracy
SteveinTracy Posts: 61
350 indirect rubbed with mustard and dizzy dust. I'm amazed by the smoke ring since they are turbo ribs. Tasted amazing but to spicy for the wife

Comments

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Those look great
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Okay, I've been hesitant to try turbo since I typically agree with the low and slow purists.  But I'm thinking I should try it as when I made the carnitas, I was impressed with the smoke ring on a shoulder after 90 at 350, and with a wrap, ribs should be just as good.

Are they tender?  Like, not falling off the bone under their own weight but comes off very easily?  Certainly be nice to get a rib cook in a little quicker.

How long at 350 and how long wrapped?

Thanks!  :plus_one: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I use Mickey's turbo ribs recipe - mustard / rub / mustard / rub, 350 indirect for 1 hour, 40 minutes. Both times I cooked this, the ribs were great. Not fall off the bone, but tender and very tasty.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Made backs this exact way yesterday.  Such a fan of Turbo ribs.  Can't believe ribs can be a regular weeknight dinner with Turbo.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

How long at 350 and how long wrapped?

I've been a turbo rib fan for some time now. I never wrap my ribs - nor wrap my butts when turboing those either.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SteveinTracy
    Options
    Hour and forty minutes. I ended up wrapping them since I took turnover to my dads for dinner. They were wrapped for around an hour. I haven't tried low and slow yet so I can't compare. I thought they were amazing and wish I had 2 racks to eat
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've done them 3-1-1, 2-1-1, 3 to 4 hours no wrap at 275 and 350 for 1.5 to 2 and they all came out great, but I think the last ones I did at 2-1-1 were the best.  If I want them on a week night turbo is the way to go.  If I have the time I like doing 2-1-1 or 3-1-1.  Use a good rub and some good wood and the Egg pretty much makes good ribs every time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Learning the bend test for ribs is the only way to get them to come out the same every time. You can't cook ribs to time because they are all different. I have put 3 racks in at the same time and had them finish an hour difference in time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Lit said:
    Learning the bend test for ribs is the only way to get them to come out the same every time. You can't cook ribs to time because they are all different. I have put 3 racks in at the same time and had them finish an hour difference in time.
    I agree, but since I always cut my racks in half I rely on my Thermapen. Ribs are done when several readings of the meat between the bones is 198º t0 202º. Works for me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.