Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ConvEGGtor DOA?

Options
Hi everyone, my heart stopped when I opened the ConvEGGtor's box... a piece of the plate setter is chipped! And now I'm pretty sure its not usable as is. Can use guys confirm?
I'm pretty sure I'll have to return it to my dealer so they can order a new one.

Quebec, CA

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Welcome. Return it and get a new one. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Looks like a platesetter zit

Would still perform as designed 

To quell your fear, take it back and let not your heart be troubled. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Make sure to check with your dealer but I see no reason you couldn't use it until the new one arrives..
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    DOA?

Hardly 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Return and get new one. Also, tell them the conveggtor is a worse name than Kick Ash Basket. It is a Plate setter. Whoever thought of the name conveggtor needs to be fired. 
    What he said. :rofl: 

And welcome!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Plate setters go for $100 ... take it back pronto and get an unmolested one.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    @THEBuckeye DOA = Dead on Arrival

Chubbs said: Return and get new one. Also, tell them the conveggtor is a worse name than Kick Ash Basket. It is a Plate setter. Whoever thought of the name conveggtor needs to be fired.  You got that right! I wonder how many hours and how many marketing meetings it took to come up with that silly ass name? Instead of wasting their time rebranding products, why don't the come up with some new and useful Eggcessories? Some of the other Kamado brands are coming up with new innovative products like the Divide and Conquer system while the Mothership fiddles around.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @Chubbs

Don't be a Mothership hater.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I mean I would take it back.  It's probably fine but for $150 I would want mine to be perfect.  I'm not sure how much platesetters cost these days, but I'm sure with a new "fancy" name there was a price increase.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @Chubbs I'm sure they paid someone at an add agency to perform some analysis and tell them how to rebrand their product names to focus on brand strengths.  I know because people pay me to do the same thing.  Do I think it's a stupid name? Yes! But, to be fair, it's classic marketing. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Imbhumasep
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and your good advices!
    At 140ish $CAN. (i bought the XL), I should expect a perfect product.

DOA?

Hardly 
    I guess you're right, perhaps I overdid my statement caused by my disappointment vs my expectations. :)

Thanks again!!

Quebec, CA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Oh yes, BGE does love their XL plate setter ... abt lists the cost of the three, in the States, as:

Medium ... $63
    Large ... $67
    XL ... $115

Regardless, get a new one.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max