Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to egg- Pork Butt cooking times

Options
jl5770
jl5770 Posts: 3
I'm pretty new to the egg and I am smoking a 10.5 lb butt for my son's high school graduation tomorrow. We won't be eating it until about 9:30 or 10:00pm but I would like for it to be done before I leave the house for graduation, which will be around 5:30pm.  My plan was to wrap it in foil and in a towel and stick it in the Yeti.  Will it hold a pretty good temp in there for 4 hours or should I be concerned about it getting too cold? Also, what time should I put it on and what temp to make sure it's done by 5pm? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It should do 4 hours in a yeti no problem, especially if you preheat the yeti and your towels.  I'd probably be looking to pull off the egg 30-45 minutes before you need to leave, I would NOT recommend taking a shoulder off and foiling while wearing the suit and tie I'd wear to my kid's graduation.

Is it bone in or boneless?  I usually do my shoulder turbo, about 325, takes about an hour/pound but I wouldn't do it with one that large, the outside would dry out too much.  So you're probably looking to put it on at like 225-250 and thinking about 1.5-2 hours/pound.  So to finish around 4:30 I would want it on by 11:30 to midnight, while I wouldn't do too hot too long with that size, bumping it and/or foiling to push it to the finish line won't hurt.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• jl5770
    Options
    Thanks. This one is bone in. I was thinking midnight to be on the safe side
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Don't cook lower than 250 in my opinion if you have time constraints. Cooking at 225 allows the egg to be lazy, and you could go off on your timing. I say 12-14 hours at 250 is sufficient. i just hope this isn't your first one? The timing issue scares me a little. 
  • jl5770
    Options
    I have only had the egg a couple of months but I have cooked quite a bit on it. I did smoke a 6lb butt and it turned out great but I had no time constraints and didn't have to worry about keeping it hot afterward. This one has me nervous so I thought I would if more experienced folks had advice
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Allow 1.5-2 hours per pound at 250. So for a ten pound butt you might want to put it on the night before...
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Inject with beef broth and cook like Travis,s turbo brisket and it should be done in about 8-9 hours easily and since it will be wrapprd at the end after about 160 you can heat hotter to go faster if needed.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Grillin_beers speaks the truth. No controller, I'd go 275 at least and still get done plenty early. That yeti will hold for hours.  I FTC in a little walmart cheapie for hours.