Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your price per pound for brisket?

Options
I live in Canada and have one good butcher where I live and it's $5.49/pound. It's a little up from last year, what does everyone else pay?

Comments

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I just bought one from pineview farms near osler and it was $6:02 I believe.  Its tricky finding them in good ol' sask, wish we could get it in a grocery store like our southern brothers.

Not sure if I would go with Pineview again, the one I got was very narrow and long, no idea if that is good or bad but the flat was fairly thick at least.  I had to basically double it over to fit on my large.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For a packet or a flat? Flats are anywhere from 5-9.99 per pound. Packers average 4-7 per pound. Got a couple packers for 2.99 per pound last week for select which I'm fine with.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    I have been seeing briskets for about 7.99-9.99 a lb., way too high IMO. I have not bought any in about a year because of this. If I could find anything around the price point you all are getting I would gladly purchase. Even Costco is high at about $7.99. These are all 'flat' prices, packers are extremely hard to find.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • egzilla
    egzilla Posts: 51
    Options
    I paid  $3.67 a lb. for a USDA Prime Packer at Costco last week
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    ive been seeing them 6 to 9 dollars a pound lately and what makes no sense to me is corned points are 3 and corned flats are 2 dollars a pound. this is in newengland where ribeye can be found cheaper
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    egzilla said:
    I paid  $3.67 a lb. for a USDA Prime Packer at Costco last week
    Damn. TX?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    $3.49 for prime packer at Costco in Austin this week and they're all huge.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Seen it as high as $8.99/lb .... crazy high.  Same thing with skirt steak.  All the trash cuts are getting pricey.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Tenderizer
    Tenderizer Posts: 24
    Options
    Austin HEBs they go for $2.79 packer, but not great quality..Costco $3.50ish prime...mucho bettero.
    My third child smokes a lot, weights 216 lbs and is greenish...He's my favorite..
  • jones2289
    jones2289 Posts: 56
    Options
    Costco had prime packers for $3.99 / lb today, and choice flats were $5.99, I believe.  This was in Indianapolis. 
    Indianapolis, IN
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Just spent $96.00 on a 15 pound Select Packer
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SmokinBass
    SmokinBass Posts: 58
    Options
    I bought a Choice Packer last week for $6.99 / lb at NY Butcher Shop in ATL.  I think it was pricey but it sure was good.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    $9/lbs.

After intel from this forum, I'm now on the lookout for lower prices and will buy to freeze anytime I see a good cut under $6.

Or, as was suggested to me in another thread, if I have to pay $9/lbs, I may as well just buy from SRF online.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    evie1370 said:
    I have been seeing briskets for about 7.99-9.99 a lb., way too high IMO. I have not bought any in about a year because of this. If I could find anything around the price point you all are getting I would gladly purchase. Even Costco is high at about $7.99. These are all 'flat' prices, packers are extremely hard to find.
    @evie1370  , I'm also in Cincinnati and you can sometimes find full packers at GFS for around $3.89/lb.  You can also join KCBS for $20/year and get an annual membership to Restaurant Depot.  I was just there this weekend and packers were $3.19/lb.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't even like brisket and I normally don't see packers here anyway, but a couple of days ago, I happened to notice a Choice 17 pounder at Walmart. As far as I can recall, the only packer I have ever seen up here. It was only $2.96 a pound, but 50 bucks? For a brisket? Not gonna happen.

On top of which, and I never noticed this before, it had 16 g of saturated fat! In a lousy 4 oz serving! That's 79% of the recommended limit for the day, so I wouldn't eat it anyway. Sodium's good though, until you add the 50/50 salt and pepper rub. :) Last time I bought a brisket, I didn't have to pay attention to that kind of stuff. Now, doc says I do.

Anyway, y'all enjoy. I'm out.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    $3.68 per pound for Prime Grade whole packers at Sam's Club!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Just spent $96.00 on a 15 pound Select Packer
    You're better off ordering SRF Black for that kinda money
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    99 cents a lb for a corned beef brisket.  Picked up this 9 lb one.  Just trimmed it and it's a small flat and point.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Tha last few weeks I've seen prime packers here in the Madison area for $3.75 - 4.00 per pound. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I can't ever find a packer.  Last time I did it was 9.99 a pound.  Flats are around that much too.  They just aren't really popular in SC.  I would love to pay 2-5 a pound for them.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Prime packers are $3.49 here at Costco.  Been that price for a while, I think I've cooked 5 in the past 5 months.
    Options
    Had a sale on select packers at a restaurant supply store a couple weeks ago for $2.99/lb, they're usually around $3.60/lb.  Normal grocery store had small choice packers for $7.99/lb.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Does anybody know if Costco in Atlanta (Kennesaw specifically) carries prime packers? 
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    I live in Toronto, and you have to go to a butcher to get a full brisket, hard to find at grocery stores and Costco doesn't carry them around here. Fancy butcher shops like Cumbraes sells them for $10.99 / lb, pretty expensive x15lbs. But it's all naturally raised etc etc, and very tasty, just very expensive. 
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    $3.30/lb at RD in Memphis. Sam's is 3.49/lb. both choice. 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Local butcher was clearing house.  Had CAB briskets for $1.19/lb ....don't know what CAB is so I passed it up.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I haven't seen a full packer of any grade or price in months. Raleigh is not so good for brisket. Great for pork though. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Sam's Club here in a Tulsa for $3.89 lb for USDA Choice.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    I got a choice brisket at heb Memorial Day weekend for 1.77/lb. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX